Author Topic: carbon fiber body  (Read 2903 times)

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
carbon fiber body
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
am going to be starting my liner body shortly. have the mold done. and I want to use carbon fiber, have done lots of fiberglass epoxy work (boats) never any carbon fiber. have been doing a lot of checking out on the different weaves ,weights and such . am now confused. the body has lots a real flowy curves, no sharp angles, any info on the best type  (weave- weight) of fabric. thanks       bob

Offline Peter Jack

Re: carbon fiber body
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »
Why don't you check with Tauruck on this board. That's his specialty and he does really nice work. He's really helpful with others and we try to return the favour. He's in South Africa.

Pete

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »
You sure you want to use carbon fiber and not woven glass fiber? The prices are ridiculously greater with carbon and you have other drawbacks as well. Carbon hanging on your metal structure will cause electrolytic processes that when mixed with salt can be pretty aggressive. In terms of strength, with the correct layup schedule, you can get more than enough strength for 1/2 the cost of CF.

I originally thought carbon fiber was the way to go, but after some schooling I see that glass composites got us the same level of functionality at a fraction of the cost.

I have never worked with carbon weave, but I would imagine it is similar to the glass we used. our most common schedule was 2 layers of biaxial weave (rotate one layer so the fibers all run in separate directions) with a layer of 7781 as the top layer. If you need more strength, just use more layers of the biaxial. You can also use unidirectional fabric to make stiffeners or add directional strength to particular pieces.

The stuff lays up pretty well, you can get it into some pretty awkward places and positions with a little coaxing. Using a peal-ply layer also helps as you can squeegee rather aggressively to form it into corners.

Not trying to talk you out of CF, just raising the idea of an alternate (<- pronounced "Cheaper") solution. YMMV
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Online Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
I have to agree with BBARN on this one.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
never realized the carbon to steel issue, good point, it is painfully expensive I know, thanks     bob

Jessechop

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
2X2 twill will lay into curves better than plain weave, but it is harder to work with. I wove the stuff everyday for almost 15 years, drop me a message if you have any specific questions.

I do have some left over if you are looking to buy. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
Carbon fabric that has the same weave pattern as glass is the same to work with.
I'd use "fixed" material. It's been treated so that it doesn't unravel while working it.

Carbon is cool if you're looking for a weight saving but if you aren't using vacuum technology
just use glass. The glass fabrics are so good right now you can get them to anything you want.

Carbon is stiff and you could use CF tape in amongst the glass where you think you need it.

For an alternative you can try Basalt Fibre, almost as good as Carbon in most respects but priced
like glass. If I could get it here I'd use a ton. I tested some and it's very, very good.