Author Topic: 2015 The Year Ahead (Nish Motorsports)  (Read 21952 times)

Offline entropy

Re: Cp & Cg article (was: 2015 The Year Ahead (Nish Motorsports))
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
(We wrote this article at the urging of Tom Burkland and Rex Svoboda.)
Bill & Eva

Tom & Rex are true gentlemen and terrific resources! :cheers:
(TFA says: "thank god for their patience with us noobs")
karl

Offline RCKirby

Re: 2015 The Year Ahead (Nish Motorsports)
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
While talking with Terry Nish about the response to the video, he said to go ahead and provide the link to all the raw video during the near catastrophic run.

https://youtu.be/yu_FBqYF-NM

While a lot of people will not be interested in watching raw video, there may be a few of you that are.  It is being shared in hopes that anything that can be learned from this incident might be used to create a better racing vehicle.

Regards,
RCKirby

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
Wow, at the 2:10 mark as he is crossing the 3 mile. Pretty sure I would have to check my pants after that one.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:36 PM »
I noticed that in the in-cockpit video and the exterior video, both showed  the canopy lifting about 1/2" when the car got sideways. This indicates that the body shape was creating quite a bit of lift under those conditions.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »
The air involving this incident is quite remarkable (300mph Air).  The POV camera mounted on the side of the streamliner is a RePlay XD...it is round and securely mounted to the vehicle.  The mount holds the camera very, very securely.  At about the 5:10 mark the streamliner begins to get sideways.  When the vehicle comes back around the camera twists in its cradle.  As I mentioned before this cradle is very tight and the camera is securely held within this mount.  Also the RePlay XD  is round.

The amount of air it would take to rotate the camera in its cradle is unbelievable to me.  Since the camera rotates counter clockwise I believe the air would need to come over the camera and then back under the camera towards the body...creating a "very" powerful vortex.  I assumed that since the camera was round and fairly aerodynamic that it would be solid as a rock.  I was mistaken.

I have new respect for the amount of air, the streamliners and all race vehicles are pushing through.

I can't help but believe that if a 300mph wall of air were to hit you all at once, it would do significant damage to your body.

RCKirby

Offline tauruck

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »
Good people.

Hope they've solved the CG problem. :cheers: