Author Topic: Motorcycle seat attachment.  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Eldo

• New folks
Motorcycle seat attachment.
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »
Hi all, I introduced myself earlier this year, and this is my first real post and question. I'll be running a 750M-PG class motorcycle, and I'd like to attach the seat using hook and loop material ("Velcro") on the top of the frame and the bottom of the seat. The seat pan has been molded to closely match the frame, and actually fits on the bike quite snug without any help, but does need to be secured somehow. This system of attachment has been used successfully on VRRA (Vintage Road Racing Assoc.) racing bikes we've built, and works well for quick seat removal to gain bike access. Does any one know if this will pose a problem? I do not see any mention about seat attachment in the rulebook (maybe I missed it?)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Motorcycle seat attachment.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
I'd get in touch with Matt Schuss or Tom Evans. I would hazard a guess the answer will be no.  But you never know until you ask.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
Well my guess goes the other way... I don't know why it would not be OK, after all your butt will be holding it down so it can't blow off... and if your butt isn't there, the seat coming loose is the least of your worries.
Safe thing is to check, they might want a strap... or a couple of tie wraps
Let us know how it goes  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »
Safety wire.   :evil:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.   :roll:

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:15 AM »
Velcro is often a dead end on the salt.  As soon as a little wet salt gets into the "loop" material it mats up.  Then the "hooks" don't get a bite and you will be doing another fix.

I had some to hold a little flap of upholstery on the back of my seat in 2007.  The whole thing was loose by the end of the first pass as the salt from the rear tire found its way into it.  I had to put two bolts through the mess, to keep running the bike.  What a mess. :x

Offline Eldo

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
Wow, awesome advice guys. I have sent an email to Matt Shuss and Van Butler asking the same question. I never thought of the salt contamination issue, but that's a really good point, too. Sounds like it'd be best to just come up with a more "engineered" attachment solution. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
If pulling on and off a lot at the salt, the velcro needs to have the salt brushed off after it starts to harden.  A good velcro match will only allow minor salt intrusion on the edges.  We have used it for years on the salt.
Stainless

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »
Bob, my butt and the seat, are sitting directly on the battery. seat is bolted on. Why do I need a metal hold down for the battery? :dhorse: :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
If you use the Velcro, make sure to safety-wire your nuts.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 12:03:15 AM »
Bob, my butt and the seat, are sitting directly on the battery. seat is bolted on. Why do I need a metal hold down for the battery? :dhorse: :-D

My guess is because the rules sez so  :roll:  but if you had a metal seat pan, I would argue it was the battery hold down  :-o
 :cheers:

If you use the Velcro, make sure to safety-wire your nuts.

where is that snare drum and cymbal  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:05:46 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
Eldo

Any space to use some 1/4 turn Dzus [or similar type] fasteners?  Maybe an upside down hood pin type arrangement?

Ed