Author Topic: Turbine Exhaust and Aerodynamics  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Frankenhealey

• New folks
  • Born to race - forced to work
Turbine Exhaust and Aerodynamics
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »
For reasons of my own  :roll: I'm building an MG Midget based Lenham GT like the picture below with a turbine

A similar car got to 130mph on 80 bhp RWHP from an a-series engine. My little turbine is only 140/150 bhp and we're currently wondering where to dump the 650 degree exhaust. The turbine will fit where the original 4-pot motor goes with the exhaust coming out just in front of the windscreen unless we duct it away. I'm assuming that ducting it out of the sides of the engine bay is an aerodynamic non-no and the best place would be out from under the rear diffuser.

Any comments/help/suggestions gratefully received.

:cheers:

Ian
1954 Chevy Healey V8
1956 Bedford RHLZ Racecar Transporter
1971 SpridJET (hopefully coming soon to a Salt Flat near you)
Hare and Tortoise Racing - Scuderia Astuto Piano - Ecurie Albion Perfide - Rennabteilung Sturm und Drang

Offline Crackerman

Re: Turbine Exhaust and Aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
Hot air filling the hole the car leaves is best practice. Reality in your situation? Thats a toughy as you need free exhaust flow.

Offline Frankenhealey

• New folks
  • Born to race - forced to work
Re: Turbine Exhaust and Aerodynamics
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
We can duct it through the car and out the back end if necessary. The question was just to see if my total newbness had overlooked anything or if anyone had a cunning plan.

:cheers:
1954 Chevy Healey V8
1956 Bedford RHLZ Racecar Transporter
1971 SpridJET (hopefully coming soon to a Salt Flat near you)
Hare and Tortoise Racing - Scuderia Astuto Piano - Ecurie Albion Perfide - Rennabteilung Sturm und Drang