Author Topic: Larry Dixon  (Read 17606 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

Re: Larry Dixon
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »
Saw that clip this weekend...if you measure it from liftoff, he flew about 500 feet before landing...  :-o
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
http://assets.bankspower.com/project_component_images/169/cage1_s.jpg

It looks like they have the smaller tubes on the bottom which the wings would put in compression and the larger upper ones in tension.  The first shot looks like he is headed at the camera he may have put a side load on the lower rail and it kinked the pass side lower rail then ---and then and then
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:29:34 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »
In photo #1 it looks to me like the front wing is bent, maybe from previous damage?  In the next photo, it looks like something at the front of the car is dragging sending up a shower of sparks, as if the frame has already broken.  Is it possible that the frame fractured during the launch, but only let go later?

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
This is what a TF looks like at speed. [And you thought tires were round! :-o] The resultant force from the wing drag and down force is a lever twisting around the rear axle. Until you go airborne then it twists around the CG which moves back when you lose the front half!  :cry: From 250 mph to 280 mph this torque goes up 25%! :-o From 280 mph to 300 mph it goes up ANOTHER 19%!  :-o :-o I was told years ago NEVER paint your frame on a TF so you can find the cracks before they find you!  :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
  The scary part here is the lack of support, both vertically and horizontally. They have removed the bracing and relied on the tubes for all of the lateral and verticle stability.

1.    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbFM719mnxHR5Ay-RRBfG6vbUGxKvEs77x85RURt3yc3xDkHE6
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »
One of the secondary affects of the chassis flex is that, as the speed increases and the chassis bows more, it actually reduces the angle of attack of the rear wing which then reduces down force and because of the lever affect reduces the bending moment into the chassis. Also the flex increases the angle of attack on the front wing which really keeps the front pinned to the ground.

The drivers module on Dixon's car really only took one good hit when it hit the wall but it certainly did it's job. There have been a number of these types of failures and it appears that it is just something that NHRA tolerates. It certainly does appear, as Sparky said, that the chassis first failed in the horizontal plane as the nose appears to be taking a right turn and then the aero forces took over and broke it in two.  The pictures of the bare chassis that Doug posted certainly illustrate the "flexy" design of the front of these cars. All of the tubes have periodic vertical and horizontal tubes to keep them more or less in place but nothing in the way of diagonals to increase bending resistance. Flex is such an important part of the way these things are "designed" to work, although maybe a diagonal or two in the horizontal plane, which would have minimum effect on vertical flex, might be a good idea.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
What would cause Kalitta to loose a whole bank at once ---it looks like his whole drivers side bank is dead  :?

comment based on one frame only ---mistake on my part

120 gallons per minute of 90% nitro makes it pretty tough for the plugs to keep a fire going.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
I suspect that the chassis flexibility is designed to act as a spring-- under a hard launch the chassis flexes upward like winding up a spring, storing energy, and then it rewinds and returns some of that energy to the forward motion.

If the point of the long flexy chassis is to build a spring, this is not the way to do it and have it live very long.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline noboD

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
When you guys are discussing flex in the trailer causing cracks. Would it be better to have the car mounted on four solid mounts, like jack stands?  The pics are incredible, show lots of self control by the photographer AND Larry.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
also appears that there is a lot of torsional twist also as someone noted the frt wing being down and the rear is opposite
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
When you guys are discussing flex in the trailer causing cracks. Would it be better to have the car mounted on four solid mounts, like jack stands?  The pics are incredible, show lots of self control by the photographer AND Larry.

The key is to have support distributed all along the underside of the long chassis so it doesn't flex.

Offline DND

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
Buy four ' Sleep Numbers Beds ' and set the car on them, end of story and the car would be a happy camper too

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
It is common practice to support these car for transportation. It is really bad to get to a race and have your car sitting in the trailer in two peaces, it happens.

I don't even transport a motorcycle without supporting the chassis.

The air ride transporters they use now aren't nearly as bad on the chassis as the old sprung trailers, but there is still a lot of bumps on the roads and highways.

I seen the look on someones eyes when they opened the trailer to a broken car.

We used a small inter-tube under ours and never had any problems.

Rouse 
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline fuel749

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
  The scary part here is the lack of support, both vertically and horizontally. They have removed the bracing and relied on the tubes for all of the lateral and verticle stability.

1.    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbFM719mnxHR5Ay-RRBfG6vbUGxKvEs77x85RURt3yc3xDkHE6

They haven't removed anything, they never put them in. After the last round of this type of breakage, SFI updated the spec on these cars. I own a copy of the T/F spec and so I got the update. Its been a few years since we've seen one of these failures, but I know for a fact that the car was inspected by the sanctioning body and a group of chassis builders after the crash. If they think they have a problem, they'll fix it.

As for the lack of uprights and diagonals in the front half, they build them that way so the car will "work".  They hold up very well considering what they do to them, and they get front halved on a regular schedule. This breakup could have been any number of things. (undercut weld, scratch or stress riser on a tube, unseen previous damage) All the pro teams take safety very seriously, drag racing and land speed racing are very similar in that no one wants to see a crash.

On the subject of 4130, most everyone knows that it work hardens and is very easy to weld wrong. There's a new tubing on the market call Docol R8. Has the strength of 4130 with the ductility and weldability of mild steel. Very nice stuff, I expect it to replace 4130 eventually.

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Lynn Goodfellow's Mormon Missile streamliner is built with Docol R8. Has passed SCTA-BNI tech inspection, runs in excess of 340 MPH.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth