Author Topic: Larry Dixon  (Read 17614 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Larry Dixon
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »

Offline jacksoni

Re: Larry Dixon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »
Might be having a discussion with my chassis builder.......

WTF happened, just broke in the middle?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
A fatigue failure, I'll bet. Lucky driver and a very good photographer.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
very spot on comments Neil--would be my vote
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
Perhaps NHRA should spend less time on the Circus and a little more time on inspection.  :roll: Wayno

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
Just wondering if some of that 4130 HT snuck back into to the pipe rack???

4130 N will do that, but you have to pound on it for a while.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
A fatigue failure, I'll bet. Lucky driver and a very good photographer.

The car was new for this season its way to early for fatique. Think NHRA needs to look at the structure design but I think they would rather look at high dollar cash penalties if you get oil on the track!  :x
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »
Super-long wheelbase diggers have been known to break chassis tubes just from vibration while being hauled in their trailers. Road vibration causes the long chassis to flex up & down unless it is well supported underneath.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
    Here's a clue. Look for any horizontal or diagonal cross braces in the chassis ahead of the foot box. [It makes the chassis more flexible, but????????]

http://assets.bankspower.com/project_component_images/169/cage1_s.jpg
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline JimL

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
That makes sense, Neil.  It would also be interesting to see the tires on the trailer.  If you pull or back a multi-axle trailer into a tight spot and leave it parked, the tire tread can permanently twist on the carcass.  This can cause a strong sideways shake, that will flex things sideways even if they are blocked underneath.

This issue is so big that there are now reinforced evap and condensor cores in the Roof A/C units made for multiaxle 5th wheel trailers!  Coleman lists them....higher price of course.

Back in late '89 my boss sent me to the Denver railhead to take pics and report on some damaged new LS400s.  When I got out there, the railroad had sided the affected railcars and left the vehicles untouched.  I confirmed the tiedowns, took pics of the exhaust systems lying under the cars, and was takng pics of the rear quarter panels when our 'rail guy' showed up.

"Somebody left the bolts loose?" he asked me.  I didnt know, yet, who he was so I didnt answer.  Once I started prying trunk lids open, he realzed this was not a manfacturing problem.  The spare tires were standing up at an angle out of the trunk floor, the rear quarters were flared out like an old IMSA car, and everything underneath was hammered out to the outer skin of the quarter panels.

The cause was worn wheel flanges on the railcar trucks (the trucks start hunting, angling back and forth, and trying to walk the flange up the side of the rail....you watch them go by at railcrossings rocking like a drunken sailor).  That lateral shaking is an ugly thing.

Couple years later I was at Cobo Hall with the SAE national meetings.  I ran into a GM fellow I knew, and he told me about the days of shipping Vegas stacked semi-vertical (nose down, held up on framing).  When Vegas got loaded in a railcar with worn flanges, they would find a little pile of metal about waist high at the end of the run to SoCal.  The sideways shaking popped the cars loose, they fell on their nose, and the railcar hammered them down.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:55 PM »
 "Harmonics" from freeway concrete joints --- going to CA this weekend we hit a stretch of road at the wrong speed --- until we changed lanes or speeds it was terrible and we were in a excab  1/2 ton with 4 guys!! no load or trailer
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

velocity

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 02:55:05 AM »
Just like SCTA, NHRA's safety program gets a salute for stringent rules that allowed Larry to race another day. Wally would have been very pleased when he walked to the ambo on his propulsion . . .

As for harmonics and road bashing, geez, but I would think most anyone who has hauled a rig around the country on tour knows the damage to the racer happens inside the trailer with more frequency that outside. And then there are all those lovely times when we would say a little prayer after we got the rig pulled over safely when the road weary trailer would break a weld in the most uncanny places, usually after midnight and near nothing.

And the photos? please note that shooter had that honking 600mm on manual, not auto, I am in awe of his ability to keep all the action in frame - even when he was most assuredly about to be pelted by some of the action.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:57:49 AM by velocity »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »
What would cause Kalitta to loose a whole bank at once ---it looks like his whole drivers side bank is dead  :?

comment based on one frame only ---mistake on my part
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:22:58 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »
When you watch the video in real time, it really makes the pictures more spectacular... I think he was lucky, wore out a lot of car in a very short time.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
its possible it's front tubes bent to the side before failing to the force of the wings it broke vertically and to the pass side