Author Topic: Low down..  (Read 5590 times)

Offline jjolly

Low down..
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
My 79 Mustang was raced last year at Ohio by Lewis Haddock and set a few different class records. 173 mph in D/CGC was fastest pass as far as I know..I have switched from Haddock LS Chevy power to an old ford windsor power plant and although 174 mph would be awesome, I will be happy with 1) getting through tech, 2) getting licensed and 3) anything north of 150 would suit me just fine. This is my first time doing the mile and as the car sits now, my header collectors are 2 inches off the ground. The Afco k member and oil pan sit at an uncomfy 3.75 inches above the pavement. That is before driver is in car..Question is how low is too low? How smooth is runway? I have 300 lbs./in coil overs. Should I start adjusting the front end now?
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
Re: Low down..
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
The runway itself shouldn't cause any issues.  There are a couple of "ramps" for lack of a better word that some of the low air dam guys have to ease over.  Of course, every car is somewhat different, but the cars I've been in the pits with had 1" or so clearance on the front lip and were able to either go over those areas at an angle or cleared outright.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:33 AM »
If we run the right lane there are some good dips around the half mile mark.  2" Should be ok. You should have the suspension set so it hits the bump stops before the car hit the track.
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »
300 lb coilovers...on the rear???
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline jjolly

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:11:34 PM »
JT, the 300's are on front. Rears are to be determined. That is I don't know what spring is on rear yet., will try and figure that out soon, or call previous owner in Oklahoma.  Putting ford engine in where chevy once sat is turning out to be a bit more challenging than I first thought. Well not more challenging really, just more expensive than my first guesstimate!  The radiator has inlet and outlet on right side and my water pump is on left.  I"ll be ready in a week. Or two.. I cant locate short #8 fittings for my demon carb bowls. Aluminum or steel drive shaft? Trans shield (C4 Auto) doesn't have its sfi sticker anymore. Working within the cage to install MSD and wiring under dash could be a challenge for my 230# self. Battery is in stock location, putting switch on front bumper. To relocate or not relocate? Decisions, ($$$$) Decisions.. Maybe 3 weeks.
Joe
Why not now?

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:20:48 AM »
That spring sounds a little light...push down on the front end...bounce it hard and get someone to see how close you get, I have 16 years experience hearing spoilers scrapping thru the lights!!!  You don't need a SFI sticker on the shield. If you put the kill SW on the front bumper, add a sticker to the rear stating where the SW is located...fire & rescue looks at the back first. You can call me with questions.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline jjolly

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
Thanks Joe!
Joe
Why not now?