Author Topic: South African track-nosed lakes-style roadster  (Read 8241 times)

Offline krusty

Re: South African track-nosed lakes-style roadster
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »

I wouldn't buy racing tires until you need them (200mph and over).  SCTA calls for "H" rated for 150 mph. Do you need to meet the current record speed for the rating for your tires?
     You'll pick up speed with hood sides that fit snugly around your headers. Chin spoiler should help too. If you don't need all the cooling you have, blocking some of the radiator (on the front side, if legal, if not, on the back) is simple, too. Aero improvements are inexpensive (at least the proven ones), and your HAMB thread shows that you've got the skills.

vic

Offline BarryA

• New folks
Re: South African track-nosed lakes-style roadster
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:09:05 PM »
Thanks all!

Mike, I may need to chat about those outers...

Mike, the '41 isn't mine anymore, and they made a few odd changes to it and then struggled to get 160km/h out of it last year... :roll:

Louise, if you are serious I would be absolutely honoured..... :-D :-D :-D

Sid, if I do need to go that route I'll be asking for more detail.

Vic - thanks for the info. So a I assuming that there is a factor of safety in the speed ratings? There aren't really any records, classes or even much in the way of requirements at the moment :-o. H-rated should give me a few more options...
Those cloverleaf shaped exhausts (as fun as they were to make :evil:) will be ditched in favour of a full, hopefully reasonably 'tuned' system as besides the current open hood sides (I will be enclosing them) I think I'm probably throwing away a few hp there...
I will also be looking at various other aero improvements - not sure exactly how much cooling I may need (it does run pretty cool on the road), and I'd need to quantify the losses from the open grille before deciding on building a tank or radiator in tank set-up - I do still want to have a regular driver too, without too much effort to swap out bits for the event.
The laws of physics do allow it, but they don't encourage it....