Author Topic: Motorcycle Streamliner Wheel Options  (Read 50563 times)

Offline Ross_ProVelocity

• New folks
Motorcycle Streamliner Wheel Options
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
Hi all,

I've got a question regarding suitable rims to use with Goodyear Landspeed Eagle tires (specs in link below).  We're currently assessing options for our 1000cc (motorcycle) streamliner’s front steering system (hub-centre vs leading link) and whichever we select will obviously influence the design of the wheel.  I've got a couple of questions on our wheel options below:

1.  If we select a hub-centre design, does anyone know of off-the-shelf wheels that suit these tires and are compatible with a hub, or will we have to get custom rims machined?

2.  What are the advantages of a solid rim design (i.e. a wheel with a tyre but no spokes) vs a spoked design?

3.  Would anyone recommend any wheels which they have used, that suit the 21 inch Goodyear Eagle tyre (link to spec below).

If anyone could help/offer advice based on their experiences, it would be much appreciated!

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Goodyear_Drag_Catalog_2015.pdf

Thanks,

Ross

Offline BHR301

Re: Motorcycle Streamliner Wheel Options
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
Ross...have you looked at the following website?  He is using the same tire as you.
http://www.paterstreamliner.com/

Bill

Offline Ross_ProVelocity

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »
Thanks Bill, we used this website a lot in the early stages of the streamliner design last year - had completely forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder!

Ross

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
I have found that going with HCS has it's advantages, but you have to think of cost as second fiddle.
My thinking was that HCS would be  more stable running, thus Safer, but that means you don't mind spending the extra money it cost to go that route.
We made our own Center Hubs and wheels, and they came out very nice, but we could have gone with front forks for less than 1/4th the cost.
One of the biggest advantages on the build is, it gets the forks out of the way for doing the body work.
I don't know much about Leading link or what it takes to build.
Our front wheel is set up for shortest MT LSR tire.

Hope this is food for thought

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
Pls fill out the bio part  we love to know where you live, ect ect ect---and such---thanks
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:21:21 PM »
If you would consider going with the newer Goodyear 17 inch top fuel front tire, which SCTA and Goodyear both approve for over 300 mph you might consider going with the forged aluminum wheel from All American Wheel, http://www.allamericanwheel.com/index.html, they make forged aluminum wheels for motorcycles so the tire mounting contour is for motorcycle tires. They have a 17 x 3.5 which should work for the Goodyear 2904 tire which has a motorcycle style mounting bead. I am planning to use them on my little lakester and they are about $200 each and are exceptional quality.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
interesting to ponder the effect of having the sidecar wheel has on
stability vs only one rear wheel in line with front....

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »
Sorry to be so late to this party.  I am gratified that folks are using my website.  I learned a lot from experienced guys, as well as by doing.  The website is my way to return the favor.  I have unfortunately not been keeping my website up to date (my bad).

On the rear I still plan to use the Goodyear 2286  28x4.5-15 tire mounted on Centerline aluminum 15-inch wheels made for early Volkswagens.  These wheels have about a 6.3-inch (160 mm) diameter center hole, which fits nicely over a sprocket carrier and also over my custom HCS front hub.  The 2286 is (using polite language) difficult to get on the rim; there is a danger of damage to the rim or the tire.  I ended up drilling out the rivets and replacing them with bolts.  Problem solved, albeit with considerable work!  I spread a thin layer silicone sealer over a large area between the wheel halves during assembly, instead of the large OEM silicone caulk “rope” that I think could fly out of the rim valley at speed.

On the front I am in the process of switching from Goodyear 2282  21x5-15  to the new Goodyear D2904  22x4-17  Frontrunner.  It has a more rounded cross-section than M/T or Goodyear Land Speed tires, and also costs less.  Admittedly the fastest guys have used such tires on 2-wheel liners, which were the best option at the time, but I still worry about weird handling due to jumping from one shoulder to the other of flat tread tires.  As Rex mentions, Goodyear and SCTA have authorized the new D2904 Frontrunner for LSR use up to 300 mph, at 90 psi and less than 1200 lbs radial load.  This tire requires a motorcycle wheel bead shape, which has a slightly smaller than a car wheel bead shape, as discussed in detail on another forum thread.  Perhaps a car wheel could be modified.  A custom wheel can easily be had - be sure to get the correct motorcycle bead.  I bought a pair of older model Weld Racing dragster front wheels on eBay.  These wheels have the appropriate bead shape, with spindle hubs and a solid disk center - no spokes.  I milled out most of the center section (does anybody need a set of spindles?) and made an aluminum adapter disk to fit the Weld rim and my hub (I am stuck with the early VW 5x205 bolt pattern).  In retrospect, a custom wheel would have been a better option, taking my time into account.  I will look at the All American Wheel that Rex mentioned - I did not know about it.

Overachiever John Buddenbaum used link front suspension/steering on his IMHO brilliant BUDDFAB motorcycle streamliner.

BTW, the current SCTA S-F-1000 and the AMA S-AF-1000 records were set in 1967 by a guy (now deceased) by the name of B. Munro, as is loosely documented in the entertaining movie "World’s Fastest Indian" and more factually in a book entitled "One Good Run."  There is a strong sentiment among many LSR people that this record should not be broken.  Just saying.

I hope to see you on the salt - though probably not this year, unless it dries out soon.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
If "they" want Burts record to stay in the record book then put it in pushrod class, vintage class. I say go for it, it is long overdue. The 1000cc production record is almost 200mph. Boy this ought to stir up some caca.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
The record is not protected. It cannot be broken. Many attempts at this 1000cc record have resulted in broken equipment or crashes, ask Gary Hensley.

If running against old Burt it might be wise the have the Ghost Buster's Eco Lab standing by.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »
Interesting comment, DW.  Burklund said pretty much the same thing.  {Ominous music in background}