Author Topic: /BGRMR Class  (Read 13363 times)

Offline Eddieschopshop

Re: /BGRMR Class
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
To give a little more explanation. The RMR class was only brought back awhile ago. So others classes have been getting bumped for years and by comparison these are soft or open records.  Blown gas records seem to be soft in some other classes as well. Probably several reasons for this. There are people who feel that the RMR class either should have been combined with the front engine modifieds or just not allowed. So you will get certain responses depending on people's opinion.  Still being a newby I don't know all the backstory. I chose to build one since I had a drivetrain already that was a good fit for one. The open/soft record was/is attractive for new guys to get their feet wet (like me). I am now building a coupe and just started stockpiling parts for a streamliner.  Even with soft records its nice to set a record that is comparable to other classes so I will bump mine till I'm proud of it.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
Even with soft records its nice to set a record that is comparable to other classes so I will bump mine till I'm proud of it.

Where the thumbs up emoticon Slim?  I guess this will suffice:  :cheers:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »
I have to laugh that if someone were on the fence or even set in regards to buidling a LS vehicle, seeing negative comments about certain classes and vehicles might not always be a good thing to read IMHO.  If you dont like the class, thats fine but dont knock it on ones thread asking questions about it. Just my .02

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:43:02 AM »
I have to laugh that if someone were on the fence or even set in regards to buidling a LS vehicle, seeing negative comments about certain classes and vehicles might not always be a good thing to read IMHO.  If you dont like the class, thats fine but dont knock it on ones thread asking questions about it. Just my .02

Frankie, are you referring to this

To give a little more explanation. The RMR class was only brought back awhile ago. So others classes have been getting bumped for years and by comparison these are soft or open records.  Blown gas records seem to be soft in some other classes as well. Probably several reasons for this. There are people who feel that the RMR class either should have been combined with the front engine modifieds or just not allowed. So you will get certain responses depending on people's opinion.  Still being a newby I don't know all the backstory. I chose to build one since I had a drivetrain already that was a good fit for one. The open/soft record was/is attractive for new guys to get their feet wet (like me). I am now building a coupe and just started stockpiling parts for a streamliner.  Even with soft records its nice to set a record that is comparable to other classes so I will bump mine till I'm proud of it.

Eddie isn't bagging on the class, he runs one... now I think they look a lot like a wide lakester, but I know you are not supposed to confuse them...  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »
Stainless, no I had Rich's post in mind. I know Eddie runs a RMR. I get it that some folks dont like them, think they should be mixed in with modified roadsters but dont be discouraging. I also understand everyone is entitled to their opinion as well
  :-)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 02:33:51 AM »
Stainless, no I had Rich's post in mind. I know Eddie runs a RMR. I get it that some folks dont like them, think they should be mixed in with modified roadsters but dont be discouraging. I also understand everyone is entitled to their opinion as well
  :-)

The records are what they are These are relatively new and unnecessary classes so the records may not live up tp the pontial as yet. In the A and E classes no record had been set, so no record could be printed in the rule biik.

Ah!  I wondered too, but chose not to ask.  You have to remember that Rich is out-of-the-box traditional: he ran a Dodge V4 in his '32 Ford coupe and a Packard V8 in his CGC? Vega.  He ends up being something like a seldom-speaking Jim Kitchen with immense fabricating skills.  :evil:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
OK. I admit it. Inserting the word "unnecessary" was in it self unnecessary. I apologize to the RMR guys. But I still don't know why they didn't just run them with the front engine cars.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
My problem with the RMRs is that they're harder to find the "Roadster" in them than in the front-engined MRs.  But the rules is da rules.  Might as well do the best to take advantage of them.

Still hoping for a C/AIR class in the MRs so Rich could run his Packard (but, then again, I don't think he still has it).

Years ago, as I remember, he was looking for someone to partner with to run it again.  I shudda called, although I was prepared for a turn-down, knowing my history.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »
Again...  I was told (by a reliable source) that the class was seperated because the front engine guys felt the Rears would have an advantage.  With the amount of allowances in any "modified" class I think there is enough room for creativity that the classes could have been one with no huge advantage one way or the other.

I'm a newbie,  but I am not sure why people get pushed out of shape about certain classes. Now that being said,  I didn't make the classes.  As a new guy coming in you don't know all the politics and opinions behind certain things.  I have heard all the lakester comments,  comments about my windshield etc.  Coming in I just built the best car I could within the rules .  I really don't understand anyone begrudging someone for being creative and pushing the limits (as long as its legal NO CHEATERS).  I thought that was the spirit of lsr.  And I am a big believer in the spirit of LSR and classes etc.  The fact is it is still a roadster and that is still one hell of a penalty in its self.  If it was an easy class etc... wouldn't all those easy minimums be burned up by now?  I have a 260 minimum for bville  for the 200 club.  I had a 240 and 210 min at El Mirage.  My 240 pass made me the second fastest pass in 2013.

I get the impression there are a lot of racers that want to keep the "community" small.  But there has to be a certain influx to sustain it.  For a guy coming in without contacts within the community its a tough leap to make.  A class like this brings fresh blood and is an attractive starting point.  My first sight of a RMR was "Crap,  what an ugly car who would build that?".  Then started looking at a good starting point for myself and whadyaknow?

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »
Stan you were too quick,  responded while I was typing.   I agree rules are rules,  but maybe the front engine guys just haven't been creative enough yet.   :evil:

I am not trying to stir stuff,  I was just trying to give the original poster a little more insight.  Its nice to know what your getting into.  I encourage people to get into the class,  I am not afraid of some competition!  Bring it ON!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:20:01 PM by Eddieschopshop »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
I congratulate you on your record and wish you the best of luck going forward.

You've proved that building to the rules can pay off.  Sometimes a fresh look at a class can pay big dividends.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »
Nothing wrong with building to the rules. That's what it's all about. I just don't understand the reason modified roadsters need a rear engine class. In the roof classes, Pro, Alt, Comp coupe, front and rear engine cars run together. As in Sports classes and lakesters and liners. The only class that split them is MR. I don't understand it. Stan, The Packard is gone but I do have a nice 366 inch Lincoln that could use a home.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
I don't know Rich, above my pay grade.  I could have been competitive with the front engine guys....  The only thing I can say is I have grown to like the class.  It is the ultimate roadster class in my opinion.  It gives guys like me a place to compete,  its a great class for guys who want to be creative and still have the opportunity to win by building a better mouse trap,  not just by building (buying) more hp.  I'm not saying I'm not making power,  but hp and a good design.. :cheers:

I do feel like the redheaded step-child though....  going to have to build the streamliner so I can get some respect.

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
The rear engine roadsters were banned because they kept getting upside down! Maybe middle 50's?
Early 2000's several guys built rear engine roadsters, ran time only, were closely watched by the officials and when no major incidents happened partitioned for the new class. The board allowed it. This did not happen over night or in one year. This is the way new classes can be added to the too many we have already! Was also a good way to get some people a red hat.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »
Thats one of the things I find fascinating as a whole about LSR, the thinking outside the box and creativity of it al. Im new to LSR and was completely blown away by what I saw when I was introduced to Speedweek by Sparky in 2013. I applaud all of you who have designed, built and raced a LS car no matter what class. I wasn trying to pick on Rich by any means. He's been around the sport a long time and is well respected. Ive just seen a time or two in the year and a half ive been a member here that some of the veteran racers comments can be perceived as discouraging to a newbie IMHO. Im sure its not meant that way.

ModelASteve its interesting that you brought up the fact that the RMRs were banned in the 50-60s for getting airborne/upside down. I was just reading something last week that the NHRA (I come from a drag racing background ) banned RMRs from competing at the drags in 63. Kinda interesting that both orginizations banned them around the same time.