Author Topic: ECU for spark and fuel management... Suggestions?  (Read 6314 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

ECU for spark and fuel management... Suggestions?
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
After some consideration, I'm looking into a stand alone ECU for ignition control that is expandable to EFI in the future. I've done some research and talked to a few different companies, but haven't really found the information I'm looking for. I'd like to use a cam and crank sensor so the spark will be sequential. Any suggestions?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline maj

Re: ECU for spark and fuel management... Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
How much do you want to spend
MS3 pro looks good value for money & to have a lot of room to expand later , has many features of a high end manager
AEM has a few ecu options too   

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »
Price isn't a huge concern. My grand father once told me a poor man can't afford to buy cheap things. That being said, the MS3 looks pretty good to me as well. Problem is I don't know enough about any of it to make an informed decision. I know how it works, and what I want it to do, just not sure how to go about it. I'll look into the AEM stuff. Thanks Maj.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:07:11 PM »
While I'll need to upgrade to include EFI, I found the Electromotive software pretty easy to use on their ignition module.

If you want to check out the package, you can download the software on their site -

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/

It'll get you the dashboard and the owner's manual, and might influence your decision.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »
You might try Performance Electronics, http://www.pe-ltd.com/joomla/, they are out of England but have a pretty good US office. Lots of good stuff on their web site which is very helpful, and the cost is competitive. I am thinking about converting my Zetec motor in my little roadster over to their system.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maj

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
If you have limited efi experiance then a easy to use system would be the Link g4 or Vipec , good quality , not cheap
I went with the Link, and found it real easy to setup and learn , Vipec is out of the same stable and has a couple of different features , otherwise just about the same ecu
my earlier one can interchange maps between the two , but latest release i believe has more difference

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:41 PM »
Motec is a good choice, and Dave Dahlgren at Engine Management Systems would be a good guy to discuss your requirements with. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 11:07:12 PM »
I've got some input on this -- --

First -- Who's gonna do the tuning on this????? Have you got a Dyno/Tuner guy you love and trust???? (if not,,, get one).... Because you can't tuna fish without putting it on the dyno!!!!!! --

Then after you have your dyno guy/tuner safely in your back pocket, then get whatever system HE recommends and loves.

I've got an Electromotive TechGT system in my Ghia and I've been fighting this bastard for 3+ years -- and I still can't depend on this system to make my car run the same from one time to the next -- everything has been completely rebuilt 2 or 3 times -- Whine Whine Whine -- -- BUT I can't find ANYONE out here on the West Coast that can point a finger at any one thing and say that is the bugger.... and now I'm gonna pull the damn thing out and throw in a AEM EMS4 -- -- I so tired of hating this car -- I really want to love this thing

The thing I want to express is, find THE GURU you love and live and die with him ! ! ! ! !! ! !! !!! !!

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:20:09 AM »
In my experience, it’s the “Tuner” that counts. Can you talk to them on a level you “both” understand?

Additionally, Is there a community site that supports the proposed system? Just observing the chatter on these boards can bring a wealth of information to discuss with your tuner. Does the maker have really solid tech support?

I’ve considerable experience tuning OEM systems in racing; however, I turned the entire tune project over to a new (to me) tuner. Why, my new system is a stand-alone AEM Infinity. I could have installed the system and worked from a base MAP and tuned up to what I think the engine needs. However, the modest sum I invested in the “tuner” was the best money spent. He knows the product, how it works, the system strategies employed.

Additionally, this wasn’t a plug & play system as I need to build the harness for my car. I also wanted boost control strategies, as well as engine cooling strategies.

Well meaning people will encourage you to spend a lot on hardware. Determine (realistically) how many stand-alone capabilities you will really need. How many channels to log. Traction control?  I could have spent more on hardware; however, it just wasn’t necessary for my application. I put (a modest) amount of money into the tuner instead.
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »
Fiatdude,

The AEM systems are good choices. Both John Romero and Nathan Stewart on this board are AEM employees and LSR involved.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm still doing some digging. My biggest problem now is finding a tuner in my area. I'll keep you all posted on how things progress.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
Feel free to email me with any questions you might have: nstewart@aempower.com
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
After much consideration, and talking with a fellow a lot more knowledgeable than myself, (Thanks Nate!) I believe I have come up with a few options that may work. The more research I have done the more it is looking like I won't make the jump this year. I have decided to stick with what I know and get the car sorted out first. After that... Well it's anybody's guess. Thanks again for all the input!

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
BUT I can't find ANYONE out here on the West Coast that can point a finger at any one thing and say that is the bugger.... and now I'm gonna pull the Dodge thing out and throw in a AEM EMS4 -- -- I so tired of hating this car -- I really want to love this thing

The thing I want to express is, find THE GURU you love and live and die with him ! ! ! ! !! ! !! !!! !!

You can try Nelson Racing engines, they have done electromotive systems in the past from simple to high HP twin turbo motors...   

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
I have a MS3Pro set up an a flathead Ford and its pretty simple to work with, many options including E85, boost, etc...   
The MS3x is also good if you need less external controls. 
AEM is great, a lot more expensive for essentially the same end controls. 
We've had major issues with FAST dropping programs. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.