Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69173 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »
Just did.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

No13

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
Great.  Thanks for that barrage, again.

Back to my stuff.  Feel free to slam me again anytime you like.

I enjoy our little chats.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2015, 10:40:44 PM »
What Stan and others are trying to relate is this site is for Land Speed Race Vehicles. Many talented individuals are here happy to answer questions asked by those of us who have an interest in building or who have built vehicles for actual use at a Land Speed Venue.
 Your choice to build a lakester using original Ford parts some of which would never pass any tech inspection is where the guidance from those in the know would be wise to follow. Banjo rears and original front axles are fine to use BUT there's important updates to those parts needed to make them safe if this is to be a race vehicle. Three things to remember Be safe, have fun and go fast that's what we all hope to do when we finally get the chance to run down that race coarse.   :-)
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

No13

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »
I get it.  I said that.

I'll be back sometime.

Kelly

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
Hey Stan. You wouldn't have a spare propellor like you used to run on the Roadster back in the day, wouldja?  :-) Wayno

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »
... I'll be back sometime...
Looks like we drove him right outa' here (no member profile now for 'No13'). Proud of ourselves, are we? :evil:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »
NO... a bit disappointed   :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
He should probably talk to Mike Nish.  And that's what kind of surprises me about this thread, in that he seems to be in contact with a great resource regarding anything LSR, but jumped into the pool without checking to see if there was any water in it.

I know when I got into this, I was a bit unrealistic as well.  :|
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:37 AM »
You never gave the poor guy a chance.

First time I've seen the forum eat its own young. :evil:

Maybe it is the #13?????.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
Maybe I'm a cynic but I'm with Stan.  All this whiny bitchy "I'm a dreamer" stuff is kinda BS IMO.  I guess I'm less of a dreamer and more of a do'er.  And building with junk that you have laying around "cause they built with what they had back in the day" is wrong wrong wrong.  An overseas competitor showed up with a dangerous pile of junk once with a blown hemi in it that was very very far from every passing tech.  I asked him what he was thinking by bringing this "car" to try and race and he said "well this is how they built them in the old days" and I said um, no... take this thing outta here and don't come back until it's in a state that will actually pass tech. 

Hope and dreams won't get you through tech and down the course.  My $.02.     
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
Nathan, I agree with everything you said. I interpreted what he said in the beginning as he was just building a rat rod type thing with no intention of competeing. I thought of it as a little off season entertainment. YMMV  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2015, 06:11:30 PM »
I visit a number of motorcycle forums.  Every now and then someone mentions "The World's Fastest Indian" and invariably there will be a thread by a dreamer who wants to build a Munro replica, take it to  Bonneville, and run 200+.  Rarely does it involve an old Indian.  Usually its an old Honda 350 that has been parked out in the weather for 15 years (ran when parked).  The first question seems to always be "Where can I buy a fairing just like Munro's?".   The next question is "How can I get my Honda to make 150 h.p.?".  When you tell them the fairing is now illegal they get upset and reply with "Its my ass.  I'll take the chance".  After a few more exchanges the OP gets into a huff and vanishes.  No need to be proud of yourself.  Just think of it as saving someone a trip to the salt and a big disappointment.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2015, 11:56:44 PM »
Maybe I'm a cynic but I'm with Stan.  All this whiny bitchy "I'm a dreamer" stuff is kinda BS IMO.  I guess I'm less of a dreamer and more of a do'er.  And building with junk that you have laying around "cause they built with what they had back in the day" is wrong wrong wrong.  An overseas competitor showed up with a dangerous pile of junk once with a blown hemi in it that was very very far from every passing tech.  I asked him what he was thinking by bringing this "car" to try and race and he said "well this is how they built them in the old days" and I said um, no... take this thing outta here and don't come back until it's in a state that will actually pass tech. 

Hope and dreams won't get you through tech and down the course.  My $.02.     

Nathan, as I read the entire thread leading up to No13 vacating this forum, I am a bit surprised at some of the negative comments. Does it matter what a persons motives are if he or she chooses to dream then at some point try and follow that dream? Your example of a guy bringing a sh*t box to tech and expecting it to pass only serves to provide a real life learning experience for a newbie who may not have done sufficient homework. When Kelly finishes his car, he will take it to tech and find out if his ideas pass. My guess is he will have the Nish guys look it over first and that will be a good thing. If he has someone with LSR experience look at his car locally, maybe to the surprise of some, Kelly presents an SCTA legal car. We have not seen his completed car yet.

You guys have me worried. I am currently building a new lakester and using a ton of old Formula Continental parts to get it done as inexpensively as possible. No junk yard parts yet but will try and find some good used parts I need at swap meets (modern day junk yards?). I think I will just build the car without posting progress here because at my age, I am just too thin skinned to handle all the flaming.

Kelly, if you still read this thread, keep building and stay in close contact with the Nish family or anyone else in your area with experience. Above all, have fun with the project.

John   

Offline RichFox

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
Using old formula parts is OK. May not be the most effective choice. But it's OK. This guy was not using old formula parts. He would have found a more receptive audience on the HAMB as advised. But my question is, What makes so many thing they can build anything and run it at Bonneville? You wouldn't build a car to the standards of 1951 and show up at Indy in May. But people keep popping up who feel that at Bonneville that is done all the time. Here is a car built with out using old ideas. Didn't cost a lot. Passed tech. Went fast.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:49:00 AM by RichFox »

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »
Using old formula parts is OK. May not be the most effective choice. But it's OK. This guy was not using old formula parts. He would have found a more receptive audience on the HAMB as advised. But my question is, What makes so many thing they can build anything and run it at Bonneville? You wouldn't build a car to the standards of 1951 and show up at Indy in May. But people keep popping up who feel that at Bonneville that is done all the time. Here is a car built with out using old ideas. Didn't cost a lot. Passed tech. Went fast.

Hi Rich:

You are correct, my approach with this new car is not optimal but one of the excersises is to use up as much on hand stuff in the garage as possible, i.e. garage cleaning. But don't rule out efficiency of a rocker rear suspension. Not that bad aerodynamically for an outboard wheel confuguration. One pass down track will tell if it works or not.

I still don't understand why it matters to anyone how a chap builds his car. It will eventually have to pass tech so no unsafe cars will be allowed to race. If any given car is not up to standard, the car owner will simply go back and fix it or don't show up again. Kelly (No13) by his own addmission is at the very beginning of his lakester project. He fully admitts he is starting with bits that may not pass muster but goes on to say that all will be made right in the end. I may be alone here but I want to see this car completed the way Kelly envisions it. I think he knows what he is up against and still willing to proceed. Rich, it should not be our concern how a racer wants to build a car. All that is on him. The car still must pass tech. Kelly came here for help (I think) and if he can't get it here (the best place), he will go elsewhere.

John