Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69170 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
... and for some of us this is more serious. If you want to run don't build and ask forgiveness, build it like it has to be. Your fun can come later.

DW

Dan, I understand the seriousness taken in building one of these cars as I was around Sparky as he was nearing completion of his newest lakester. Im not disputing that at all. But if there are members here that think that this guy is joke, dont follow along with this build or answer questions. Like anything else, if someone isnt getting the attention they are wanting, theyll go away eventually.

No13

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »
I'll add that, I too understand how serious it is.  It's speed, and speed = danger.  Sure, building it right is what I had in mind but I suspect that my style of doing it... and this very early stage... has caused a few to think perhaps I'm just a dumb hick.  Perhaps even I wear one of those awful straight brimmed hats and drink monster energy drinks too?  

OOHH!  Even better, maybe my pants only come up to my knees and I've never heard of a belt.

Geez.  No thanks.  I'm a business man, successful.  I'm a programmer, very capable mechanic and artist.  I'm extremely creative as well and I love the old school look.

I've also been to war and been shot at.  To other vets here, my hats off to you my friends.

Adding to that, there was a racer in every generation of my family... none famous, but they were there, all the way back to the 40's.  My dad was a drag racer locally and we currently race professional go karts.

As a kid, my dad introduced me to Big Daddy Don Garlits... and I've even sat in the seat of The Green Mamba Jet car.  (too bad someone stole it... that was sad)

I know what speed is.

I know how critical mechanics are.

I get it.

But, don't judge the book by its cover.  It's just a tube on 2 axles with a rusty sort of look to it right now.  And that's part of the plan, make it look old.  But trust me, underneath she'll be all business and conform to the rules and be as safe as I can make it.

Just because I don't have a garage doesn't mean squat.

I'm Kelly.   And I have nothing but respect for all that do this, and all that came before me.

If some want to throw stones... be my guest.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:48:58 PM by No13 »

Offline Gman

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
What do you have against Monster energy drinks?   :dhorse:  

Tough crowd..... relax or you'll burst something
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:03:34 PM by Gman »
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

No13

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:01 PM »
They're gross... and cliche   :-D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:15:16 PM by No13 »

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Quote from: No13 link=topic=14881.msg272257#msg272257

If some want to throw stones... be my guest.
[/quote

You can say that because you will have all that steel around you :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

No13

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2015, 09:24:27 PM »
Ok, so, update:

More inside work and axle placement has a good wheelbase and stance, but there is a problem.  A V8 simply is not going to fit in it.  I'm going to go the safer route and go for the V6.  That will free up a bit of room here because it's limited.

Did some front end work, new bearings, races were actually good.  Whoever owned it prior didn't drive it much.  Designed the rear axle mounts & carriers, and the lower access plate for easy removal of the rear end if necessary.   Also did some raising & lowering of the whole thing to check for clearance on the front end movement, linkage, etc.  More cutting soon.

No pics, I'm lame.

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Those GM 4.3L V6 are pretty solid motors. Might look in to a Ford 2.3L too. There are a ton of performance parts for them because people run them in stock cars. That's what our F/CPRO Mustang II has in it.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »
Well, Hmmm . . .

I just measured one of my 215s.  It's about an inch and a half shorter than a SBC.

If you ditch the water pump, locate a salvage 12V bilge pump (in keeping with the original use of the tank) and lose the crank pulley, you'll knock about 6 inches off of it.

That's about 22 inches long.

The Chevy V6 is about 25 inches long.

If that will work, and if you are serious about this (there are those here who don't think that you are), then I'm willing to give you a 215 Buick.  It will need work, but you sound resourceful and tireless.

PM me when you're in Milwaukee, and I'll help you load it up.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

No13

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
Thanks.

Thanks for the offer and the measurements.  Much appreciated.

I have a 215 I can get my hands on here and I'm pretty far from Milwaukee.

If I keep with the original use of the tank, I'd be mine sweeping.

We'll get there.

Kelly

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
Something tells me that we may be witnessing the true essence of the sport..... Inspiring.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2015, 05:11:22 AM »
Hey Kelly, just carry on brother. Karters are another breed, you'll be OK. :-D

Mike.

No13

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
And now for the hilarious (well, to me...)

http://blog.smithandedwards.com/bragging-board/

Hey, it's all part of the build log.  LOL

No13

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
And because it's a build diary, (and I have nothing else to do for a bit) a little part of my process.  Envisioning what I want.

Maybe more will follow.  Less than stellar photoshop job 1, the top hatch.

Not sure of the finished product here or window arrangement... just throwing out ideas, but once I place a seat and determine the height needed for the cage, I'll fab up the hatch in fiberglass.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:10:18 PM by No13 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »
"get out there and put our gear to the test."

What have you put to the test?  I'm confused.  What gear are you "running"?   3.78??  3.55??  4.11??  What does this have to do with landracing?

So far you've shown the prototype for a dangerous and illegal street car.  A candidate for the Stateline parking lot -- provided it was brought there on a trailer.

This is a land racing RACING website.

I once didn't have a garage.  And drank a lot of beer.  And dreamed like you.  I was a lot younger than you when I first put some parts together to build a competition car "back in the day".  We showed up and made the program.  We didn't stack up a pile of parts and say here's a car.  And a lot(!) of the parts were the same as you've shown us.  But that was 55 years ago.

Have you read some of the other threads on this website?  This is about racing at a number of venues.  Not posing.  Not speculating.  But getting help from people that went before us.  That knew the ropes.  Not piling rust upon rust and saying what they're gonna do in the future.  But rather if A is better than B.

The passion seems to be there.  But misdirected.  Tell us what you REALLY want to accomplish and we'll help you get there.  What's your goal -- besides taking up bandwith?

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

No13

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2015, 09:21:58 PM »
What is your problem Stan?  Care to share?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:28:12 PM by No13 »