Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69466 times)

No13

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
a 4" cutoff wheel... then save the spare stuff for the patch work.

No13

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »
Update:  preliminary holes cut for the front spring, spring threaded through the tube, temporarily bolted in place.

Now for the weight of a motor & transmission, cut the hatch, set it in there...  then build the inner mount for the spring.  Yep

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »
This looks well thought-out.

Although I might see an Ackerman problem with the reversed spindles.  But that might be corrected with hitting a bump and the nosepiece bending the tie-rod to correction (or not).

I'd surely double up on my insurance, just in case.

Stan Back
('way back.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

No13

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
I'll work it out.  It's just fun.... not like it has to steer sharp anyway.  Long way to go.   They're just preliminary holes anyway.

btw, it is not thought out at all.  I wing it most of the time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:51:29 PM by No13 »

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
Tie rod in front of axle isn't called suicide front end for nothing.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
The Chevy 4.3 Truck V-6  a 350 with two cyl. dropped out  has all sorts of speed equipment available  cheap at the wrecking yard also!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

No13

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2015, 06:03:05 PM »
True, thanks!  But I've got the rear end back enough now... it'll be a V8.  Why not, let's kill ourselves!

No13

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2015, 09:42:45 PM »
Question:  Somewhere I read that sprung axles are required to have shocks.  Correct?

If so, what ideas would anyone here have for this?

Brainstorming here. 

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
Yes to the first part of your question
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
they can be old fashion friction shocks they would look cool
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
... might see an Ackerman problem...
For the limited steering range needed for LSR, I suspect that any amount of Ackerman would work- positive, zero, or negative. [Other than tire scrub while moving around, into/out-of hauler, etc.]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

No13

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
... might see an Ackerman problem...
For the limited steering range needed for LSR, I suspect that any amount of Ackerman would work- positive, zero, or negative. [Other than tire scrub while moving around, into/out-of hauler, etc.]

My thoughts too.  I think we'll be fine.  Gimme a bit, we'll get this going.

Next steps, for those that want to know. 
1.  Cut the hatch for the engine & trans, set aside to use as mold for the fiberglass engine hatch.  Then use the cut out hatch & other cutouts to patch back up the rear end hole... more on that later.  Gotta keep the structural integrity of the tube...  The rear patch panels could be integrated into the rear axle mounts as well, we'll see what happens.  I dunno yet.
2.  Put junker engine & trans inside for weight (my buddy owns a transmission shop... has some spares I can use)
3.  Drop 50 or so extra lbs into the front it for weight.... and myself.
4.  Build mock up of the inner mount for the front spring in the nose.  Basically, it's a half circle of 1/4 in steel inside the nose with a flat section for the spring mount.
5.  Add spacers until it just barely lifts the tube off the front axle... (sitting/resting in the preliminary notches)
6.  Mark the places things rub or movement is needed.
7.  Pull it all off, grind out the needed areas for movement.
8.  Build the real mount, or just wing it with the mock-up.
9.  Create decent looking inserts/patch covers for the ugly holes out of aluminum, rivet it into place.
10.  Put it all back together.
11.  Hit it with a hammer a few times... LOL.. Makes it look used.
12.  Smile.
13.  Crack a beer.
14.  On beer 2, think about steering...

In my driveway,

Kelly Wood

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »
Bingengineering the shortest route to success!!  :-D

No13

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2015, 02:18:51 PM »
LOL!  Good one.  Bingengineering.  Never heard that one before.

Seriously, I put the tools down when the beer comes out.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:23:35 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »
Question for anyone that knows. (it's build related)

The wheels I have are the skinny 16" ford wheels.  They're the 5x5 pattern.

My question is: What did these wheels come on (don't say ford... but someone will...) and does anyone know what the hubcaps (perhaps baby moons) came on them?  The nubs are on the inside, not the outside.

I'm sure I'll get some other wheels to run the dishes in the end, but for these, I'm hoping to find baby moons.

Thanks in advance.