Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69175 times)

No13

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
Totally!  But the tank is 3/16.  And the engine cover will not be steel.  No sir.

Update:  junkyard searching score!  

Not every day you go hunting for just the right wheels... and find the other 3. Two complete with their whitewalls.

Full matching set of rims, check. 4 tires, check. Mount the front end next. Yep.

Real glad i went to that last place... cause in the back, this guy was saving them for just the right person to come along. Guess it was me.

Speed gods are smiling on me I swear.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:06:00 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
update to the update:

Small trip to the Nish headquarters today where Big Daddy Nish himself (Terry Nish) was looking at my idea, etc.  The place really is a neat shop, almost museum-like in a way with history going so far back it's just inspiring.

And yes, I returned with a little something extra... a rule book to start with.

A good day.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:22:37 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
Update:

Pick up banjo, check.  Clean up, check.  Check for serviceability, check.  Kill the tube but keep a part of it, check.

Mount tires, put aside.  Now for that conversion kit.

Also scored yet another 16" rim with the clippy things on them.  LOL  If anyone needs one, let me know.  I have a jeep 16" and this one shown I'll gladly send down the road.

Oil/goo that came out of it was clean, all functional... except for the brakes, but that's another day.

Thanks for watching.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:14:26 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 07:35:46 PM »
Ton of work, but front end... well... It's just sitting in it's intended place and temporarily bolted to the sides until I make the mounts. Not bad for "eye-balling" it eh? Now for some tire changing, then test fit the actual rear end... that goes back a foot from what's seen here, for a wheelbase of 135 inches.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 01:11:40 AM »
At some point, you said "monocoque". Did you mean "stressed skin"? i.e., that the heavy-wall skin will obviate a separate chassis?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 01:35:45 AM »
I stand corrected, per most dictionaries- no difference between 'monocoque' and 'stressed skin'. But in practice, most of the cars labelled 'monocoque construction' have had a central 'monocoque frame structure' to which everything else was attached- outriggers for suspension mounts, etc.

No13- I was trying to ask whether the 'tank' will serve as the chassis.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

No13

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »
See?  I'm an idiot  LOL!

The tank is basically the chassis but there will be some "attachments" inside and outside to facilitate a few things.

Update:  A trip to a local shop that it would seem every-single-person I talked to told me about, McNees.  Needed a spring perch.

Also, some lunchtime sketching (then some computer work) while a long winded client burned 30 minutes resulted in a nifty logo for a t-shirt for me.  

Yep.  I'm a goon.

Goofy question for anyone willing to measure... what's the shortest Chevy V8 one might get your hands on that would go with a powerglide? (length limited in space... powerglide is just under 26 in.)  Measurement needed from the front to the rear where it mounts to the trans.  I'm guessing that's from like 1/2 in in front of the balancer to the back.  Limited in space here lengthwise.  Fans, water pump, etc will most likely be electric.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:20:02 PM by No13 »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »
You have kind of "trapped" yourself into having a short engine/drive line combination. Your shell is pretty long and you can easily move the rear end back a foot or two to make some room. You may have to make a cover for the diff but that is pretty common on "tanks".

BTW where did you find the "paravane"??

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

No13

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:26 PM »
Thanks.  Yea, well, trapped... kind of.  I can push the rear end way back if I want and accomplish it, no issue there.  I can also gain some in the cockpit too.  It's just that I don't want to go too far back, kind of ruins the look... but I will do it.  Call it an artistic thing.

The paravane... Not wanting to track down a belly tank... and being like 50 years too late, (I obviously had other ideas) or pay some crazy price for one... or, oh... ship one here... a coffee fueled adventure lands me in a gigantic surplus place here in Utard called Smith & Edwards (visible from space I'm sure)... where in the back, I find a pile of these things.  (the one on top ended up being mine)

The local scavenger guys love me... except for the day I cut the 1/4 in thick fin off and put a free sign on it in my driveway.  Took 3 of them to pick it up.  The marks of death are still in my driveway.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:26:41 PM by No13 »

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 02:07:01 AM »
I have been to that yard, worth the trip...
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

No13

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »
Moving on.  Dinner, then a beer and head outside.  A few more parts added.  Had to fix up one thread on one shackle then make sure they fit.   (not the one I'm holding...)

Next up, find a junk block & transmission to sit in the tube, cut the hatch in the top, set them in there for weight... then throw some 50lbs of go kart weights in it... then do up the front end to sit somewhere about where it sits now... more cutting!  Fun.

Yep.

Offline wlarryglick

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »

"Shorty" Powerglides are widely available if you need more room in your engine compartment.  :o)

Larry in Scottsdale

No13

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I'm exploring it but after I get the rear end notched out and the real rear end in... we just might make it.   Rear end is going back about 1-2 feet easily.  The banjo rear end is ready, just need a nice weekend.

Plus, the advice I'm getting in other various forms tells me to solid-mount the rear end.  That will make it work for sure.

My name is Kelly Wood by the way. 

No13

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Out with the old, in with the older.  Banjo rear end sitting in place, 1.5 feet back... the look is still good.  Looks better to me.

More soon.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 12:23:30 AM »
What are you using to cut the tank? Sabre saw?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru