Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69153 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
Looks like a spindle and it appears to be well and truly bent.

Pete

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:50:27 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

No13

No13

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »
Ok, this one's for you... STAN.  (a.k.a. Captain Obvious)

What's this thingy called?  (oh, I can't wait to hear this one)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »

No13

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »
It's all good, roll on. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
I'd call it an ancient Ball Joint Retainer (but I'm pretty sure it's actually called something else).  Not the safest set-up.  Probably at least need a safety wire.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
As to why the Forum is funky about photos - name of the image, size of the image, quantity of the image:

It's not the Forum 's software other than it doesn't like YOU, No13.  it's something personal by the machine. :evil: :evil:

Okay, not really.  Don't cry :cry:  Seriously, the software is a generic bit of freeware and was set up by the SMF people, not me or Jon Amo or Bob Clancy.  They decided how to fashion it.  I suppose some actual answers to your questions are - by limiting the quantity and size of files they manage to keep post file size under some control - to help keep the loading speed under control.  As for making you name each file something that the forum software hasn't seen before (such as "img0035.jpg") - It's to make things a little less cornfusing for said software.

There are sorta easy ways to work around the Forum's restrictions.  Whatcha do is use one of the photo-sharing sites -- Photobucket or Flickr and so on.  Basic service from them is free and with 'em you're able to put up dozens of photos per post, comment more easily on the photos, and much more.  I've got a nice, long, (supposedly) easy to read and use set of instructions for Photobucket.  That's what I use for this site.  I've got the big file subscription -- yearly fee is $25 and I'm all of half full of my allotment. . .and I've got one heck of a lot of pictures stored there.  Some folks say that an inherent risk in using one of those sites is that all of your stuff will disappear in a cloud of smoke if that site should disappear -- but if you're worried about that happening - save copies of the photos and stuff on your own hard drive/remote hard drive.  Whether that'll last longer than Photobucket is another question, but don't worry too much.

I expect others will chime in with comments, but in the meantime - sorry that the way it works isn't super-easy.  Deal with it! :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ringleader

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
Thank you for the input. Wasn't trying to bitch about it, it's just not what I'm used to I guess... Thanks again.... :cheers:

Offline John Burk

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

No13

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »
Thanks again!  

I have no issues with this place.

Those things have a hole for a cotter pin that goes in the slot when screwed all the way in.

One step at a time.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:25:27 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »
Took a little side trip today, 1st up, the off road store.  Why?  Joints for the front radius rods.  Check.  They liked my project and gave me some stickers & a 10% discount for displaying them.  Then to the junkyard where I've shopped off & on for over 30 years.

And found one, old ford wheel. Check.  1 down, 3 to go.

Thanks for watching.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:58:34 PM by No13 »

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 02:19:39 AM »
Burning curiosity... what's that 3/16" thick TANK weigh?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

No13

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »
Honestly, I do not know.  A friend of mine with some whiz-bang coding skills ran some numbers for me prior to knowing the thickness or making one cut.

It looked like this:

<<<BEGIN>>>
assuming a 1/4" wall thickness (5mm)
weight of roughly 346 kg (760 lbs)
because of the tapering tail and front cone it's less than that ~280kg maybe (~620 lbs)

Or, if it's 1/8" (3mm wall)
208 kg tube
adjusting for cone and taper.... ~166 kg (365 lbs)
<<<END>>>

But I didn't check those numbers myself. 

Since it's in the middle of these equations basically, assuming it's near correct, and take out the hatch and engine cover, I'll guess in the mid 400 range.  We'll lighten it up with other access holes, cuts, etc. and I can pick up either end if I try, so I think we'll be fine.

I'll figure it out.

More later after a meeting today with the Mr. Nish.  Heading down to his shop to go over a few things & chat about all this... and steal his rule book!

Kelly

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
One thing about having a tank that is made from 1/8 steel is if you need to make any body parts that you may want to make from aluminum you have a great buck that you can form them on! I would think that you would probably not want to have an engine cover made from 1/8 steel.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.