Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69181 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
Me, too, Wayno.

Maybe 130 Club would do(?).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

No13

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
Building the chassis will limit every thing you do. You will have to build the entire cage around you wilh complete fire suit and helmet. You didn't say what size you are. That is
important as when fully suited up you will have to be able to reach everything and keep all your body parts inside. You will also have to do a bail out test with all gear on. Think about
using PVC tubing (same size) to mock up to start with. as frame material. It will save you $$$ and time. Ask any questions and some one will help you along. Good luck and start a build diary so we can follow. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  I'm 6'1" and here's where I sit in it.   THe hole is preliminary and probably will be bigger, I just cut it because that's about where I'll be... and well, to get inside!  My legs are stretched straight out in this picture, so sitting with bent knees will be possible and there's plenty of room inside for the front axle, etc. 

And for those watching, the rear axle is actually going back about 1 foot.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:48:47 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
Thanks all for the good info!  Keep it coming, I'm completely mechanical and can do anything really but this is a new world for me so I'll take any information anyone wants to offer.

I am going for monocoque though.  Actual competition... maybe.  We'll see how it goes.  I just wanted to see if I could do it in true old school fashion and have a good time... and make it look somewhat cool... all with nothing but a carport, welding capabilities... and an idea.

Mike Nish tells me the speed groups out there are among the best people in the world, and I'm finding that to be true.

Oh yes, my ride has a name.  Salvage I.  Anyone remember where that's from?  Let's just say it had an impact on me at a young age, and showed me you could accomplish great things with very little... including junk.  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:13:34 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
I have a question.

In all the rides I see, how come some of them have suspension and some don't? 

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
Builders choice. If you want some ideas and want to see a lakester that was built in 5 days go to Amazon and look for Monster Garage Belly Tank Lakester. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

No13

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 10:32:41 PM »
Thanks for all that, all that have responded.

I'll return after retrieving the rear end, a few ford wheels & tires (um, 4.. right?), and some other items.

Offline Emil Shuffhausen

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »

...Oh yes, my ride has a name.  Salvage I.  Anyone remember where that's from?  Let's just say it had an impact on me at a young age, and showed me you could accomplish great things with very little... including junk.  :)

...without Googling...Was it that silly show in which Andy Griffith built a moon rocket from scrap? I watched that as a kid, back around 1980. I thought it was awesome back then. Ugh.  Fuel tank from a cement truck container? Guys banging on scrap metal with hammers to hide the sound of rockets powerful enough to reach escape velocity? I loved it as a kid.

BTW- That guy "Elmo Rodge" makes fiberglass copies of a P-38 tank, with available 20 inch stretch and headrest fairing. He built one for himself and it looks way cool. Plexiglass nose. It's groovy.

edit: Ah. I see that you know that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:37:29 AM by Emil Shuffhausen »
I'm not really Michael Caine's character from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

Lee Owens

No13

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »

...without Googling...Was it that silly show in which Andy Griffith built a moon rocket from scrap? I watched that as a kid, back around 1980. I thought it was awesome back then. Ugh.  Fuel tank from a cement truck container? Guys banging on scrap metal with hammers to hide the sound of rockets powerful enough to reach escape velocity? I loved it as a kid.

Bonus points for you!  That was the show, sadly.  LOL

No13

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »
Continuing on:  Set to pick up the rear banjo tomorrow or Thursday.  Then for a weekend of throwing together the front end, cut out preliminary notches, line up the radius rods, tack weld heim joints to the rods, etc.  For those watching, the side pads on the tube are 1/4 in steel.  They used to be one of the mounts for a handle for this beast.

I cut off the excess and we'll use it as a mount for a 1/4 in steel plate... for the radius rods to mount on... etc.  

In the meantime, an honest to golly stencil, cut out by hand and rattle canned on whilst having a beer after work.

Now she has a name.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:59:20 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »
Radius rod mount idea.  crappy photoshopping included.  Use what ya got... and it's got a place to mount stuff.

AND:  Correction, I measured the thickness of the steel tube again, something didn't look right.  It's 3/16", not 1/8.  Thicker, better.  Yep, this'll work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:36:00 PM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »
A couple of questions for anyone that can help if I may.

The front axle I have for this is ford, I know that.  As is the rear end.

Questions.
1.  Not that it really matters, can anyone tell me what year these came from?
2.  What is the part called I've pointed red arrows at in the last pic?  I'm missing one.

Why's this forum so fricken picky about posts & pictures?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:07:11 PM by No13 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
Try the HAMB.  They're a lot chatterer.  May not know, but someone will answer.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

No13

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
I did.  Not even a "hello" from the bunch.  I'm kind of losing faith in people.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »
1.  The photo looks recent -- I'd guess 2015
2.  I'd guess that it would be called a steel plate.

No13

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »
funny.