Author Topic: My Lakester  (Read 69152 times)

No13

My Lakester
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:27:56 PM »
Hi, I introduced myself and will start a little post here about what I'm doing.

Let's just say I fell in love with the Belly Tank style of lakester a while back.  Now in a position to do something about it, my story.

Here's a few pics of it as it stands now... and it's not really a belly tank in any way.

Thanks for looking.

Kelly Wood
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:40:48 PM by No13 »

Offline Peter Jack

Re: My Lakester
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 10:35:15 PM »
It doesn't appear to be built to fit any class at this point. Am I missing something?

Pete

No13

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:36:50 PM »
Nope, you're not missing anything.  I'll get it figured out after I visit my buddy Mike Nish and go over a few things.  For now, it's just fun to build!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:39:36 PM by No13 »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »
Where are you? Wayno

No13

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »
Salt Lake City.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:40:48 AM »
We'll look forward to a build diary on the site. In the meantime, good luck. With friends like that you should end up heading in the right direction rapidly.

Pete

No13

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
Thanks!  Mike Nish's kids race karts with my daughter and that's how we met many years back.  Here's a pic I took when we were at their shop last year.  He was mocking up the new front end of that scary purple beast to keep the nose down.  :)

Oh yes, someone asked me if my thing is a trike.  It's not.  There is a front end.  Just haven't gotten to it yet. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:49:35 AM by No13 »

No13

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
Hi, just a little back story of this ride of mine.

When I started looking around for an actual belly tank, it seemed that while some were available to be had, they were either so far away or they wanted just too much money for them.

So I went looking and found something that I figured would work.  Ultimately, my only goal is to build it, drive it, and take a cool picture on the Salt Flats.  I may attempt actually running it but I don't know enough yet that's for sure.

When I found something I thought would work, I bought it and brought it home.  The tube itself was known as a paravane.  Basically, it's a minesweeper.  It's 14 feet long, 28 IN diameter and 1/8 in steel.  I figured the tube would make a nice unibody design with minimal inner framework.  After playing around with it, it'll work just fine for a unique ride... although the construction may bite me if I ever try to compete with it, but that's ok.

A bit about me, my dad was a greaser and taught me all about hot rodding early in life and I've done other projects in the same manner.  Use what ya got and make it work... then throw in a little artistic talent to make it look the part.  And if it has a few sharp edges, that's just fine too.

The running gear on this consists of early 40's ford front axle and rear banjo.  The rear axle seen on it right now is some plymouth axle I found for 50 bucks so it's just sitting there for now.  Both the front & rear will have a transverse leaf spring suspension.

The engine, well... assuming I can talk a friend out of it... a nifty aluminum block 215 out of an early 60's JetFire should do the trick.

Then, do it for under 2000... in my driveway.  Yep.  (pretty ambitious huh?)

Next step, get the rear end from its current weed field/resting place... and get the front axle on it... then find some rims & crappy tires for now.

So far, I'm only into this about 500 bucks.

Anyway, thanks for looking.  I'll update as I go.  Comments welcome.

Here's a pic of that nifty engine.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:02:14 AM by No13 »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
If he hasn't sold them (hasn't said so) and you don't talk your friend out of the 215 Buick, Chris (Milwaukee Midget) has a couple for sale here: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14796.0.html
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »
 Building the chassis will limit every thing you do. You will have to build the entire cage around you wilh complete fire suit and helmet. You didn't say what size you are. That is
important as when fully suited up you will have to be able to reach everything and keep all your body parts inside. You will also have to do a bail out test with all gear on. Think about
using PVC tubing (same size) to mock up to start with. as frame material. It will save you $$$ and time. Ask any questions and some one will help you along. Good luck and start a build diary so we can follow. Good luck.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
Never thought about using a paravane but that is a really cool shape and if it was a mine sweeper then it has the best money could buy for a great aero shape. Being made from 1/8th plate also makes it some what of a challenge to build and get it past the tech people. Kent Fuller has a streamliner that is built from 10 ga plate (.134 inch thick) and it is a "stressed skin" structure and I think that he has gotten it through SCTA inspection. You won't have to worry about ballast!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
Never thought about using a paravane but that is a really cool shape and if it was a mine sweeper then it has the best money could buy for a great aero shape. Being made from 1/8th plate also makes it some what of a challenge to build and get it past the tech people. Kent Fuller has a streamliner that is built from 10 ga plate (.134 inch thick) and it is a "stressed skin" structure and I think that he has gotten it through SCTA inspection. You won't have to worry about ballast!

Rex
Rex- why would the material or thickness of the tank/body cause trouble with inspectors? Challenge to build (aren't they all? LOL) and putting a cage in etc but I don't understand your concern.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
I think we're mixing apples and oranges here and getting a banana split.  The Fuller liner is basically monocoque with no multi-tube chassis to to speak of.  Rex is assuming the OP would build his car the same way and Jack is assuming it'd be built with a multi-tube chassis like we're all used to seeing.  I guess I haven't seen where the OP has indicated that he'd do either but I'd assume it would have a multi-tube chassis and not be monocoque.  That's how I'd suggest doing it at least.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
I don't think it matters. I get the impression he's not building a race car.  :wink: Wayno

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »
I think we're mixing apples and oranges here and getting a banana split.  The Fuller liner is basically monocoque with no multi-tube chassis to to speak of.  Rex is assuming the OP would build his car the same way and Jack is assuming it'd be built with a multi-tube chassis like we're all used to seeing.  I guess I haven't seen where the OP has indicated that he'd do either but I'd assume it would have a multi-tube chassis and not be monocoque.  That's how I'd suggest doing it at least.

I figured the tube would make a nice unibody design with minimal inner framework.
    8-)

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!