Author Topic: Tapers. Ball joint, tie rod end, etc.....  (Read 2679 times)

Offline javajoe79

Tapers. Ball joint, tie rod end, etc.....
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
 So recently I had to deal with a supplier that I bought some bump steer adjustable tie rod ends from. These were for a 69 Chevelle. I received them and came to find out that the taper pin adapter they provide with the kit is a 10 degree taper. All of the steering tapers on this car are 7 degree. I brought this to their attention and they are basically refusing to acknowledge that they are the wrong taper. Insisting that they have sold many of these kits and never had an issue. I have 2 Chevelles in my shop right now. A 69 and a 67. Both are 7 degree. They also said the taper adapter part is the same that they sell for later F body. What I am looking for is someone who knows for sure that A body and F body use a different taper.

Also in general I think this would be a good opportunity for people to post up known tapers for certain vehicle. Seems like as far as american stuff goes, there is 7 and 10.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Tapers. Ball joint, tie rod end, etc.....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:22:36 AM »
For many many decades American stuff was all seven degree.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:36 AM »
I just looked on Speedway's site and they sell 10 deg reamers for 1971-1976 Impala ball joints. The site lists these ball joints as 10 deg taper, others listed are 7 deg. Might be a dirt car application.

SP
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
For many many decades American stuff was all seven degree.
That is what I have come up with. Seems like 10 degree was introduced for heavy duty stuff? Trucks?  Not sure on that.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »
Joe, That is my understanding as well. I haven't been able to track down any affirmation on that, but in my experience, that's what I have found.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure my Mustang II front end has 7 degree taper ball joints.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline krusty

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »

IIRC, the Impala spindle ("B" Body) was the way to get bigger brakes (and maybe a slight height reduction?) on the Chevelle ("A" Body) front end via the lowest cost method, i.e. junkyard. The popularity carried over from the use of the A Body front clip in a  number of oval racing series (which continues to this day, I believe, in some association rules); you know, the low cost, claimer, IMCA, and other track rules before they blew up into allowing non-OEM stuff. That they're in the Speedway catalog shows that they still must be used in some (probably Midwestern) series.

vic