Author Topic: Das Boot  (Read 28264 times)

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: Das Boot
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 01:33:55 AM »
What an adventure Bo, thanks for sharing
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »
Not as much an adventure for me as it was for the others.  They were in Singapore, Djibouti, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Malaysia, and all sorts of other places, training with the local armies, and doing all sorts of interesting things.  Fortunately no one was shooting at them.

We make a big circular line and load the landing craft.  This harbor seal watches the whole thing.  The marines have main packs and these contain everything they take with them except for their combat packs and personal weapons.  They weigh over 100 pounds and I can not carry one.  Combat packs were what I loaded on the boat and they were plenty heavy.  Soldiering is for young folk, not old guys.  After the third trip to the boat they tell us to stay in it.  Werner and I are up near the front.

I thought we did a good job of packing everything nice and tight.  Not good enough, it seems.  One sergeant is not satisfied and he screams at the guys in the back.  The other sergeants hear this and they swarm over, yelling and foaming at the mouths, cuss words and spittle flying out.  Sergeant fission.  One sets off the others.  Marines with packs and weapons crawl over us as they move toward the front of the ship and we are covered by people and gear.  It is a big panic to load the boat in a hurry.  Then we wait a long time.  Finally we slide out from the dark and into the light.  We are going home.

That's all.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
Thanks for the coverage Bo.

My own son doesn't talk much about his deployment to Afghanistan.    Probably for the best, as it was not an "easy tour".
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 10:32:29 PM »
It is nice that he made it back OK.  It is an awful place to be an allied soldier.  I agree with you.  There are some things my middle boy told me that I wish I never heard.