Author Topic: Engine type benefits  (Read 7273 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Engine type benefits
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
Destroked  NASCAR would be my choice. Pick a brand and make some calls 2 year old tech from them is considered obsolete and available. I've heard Toyota is the toughest to get. Good Luck.

In doing this, you obviously need a new crank but then do you need new rods or pistons or both?

Destroking requires new crank and new rods minimum.   (Or at least "different" as they do not need to be "new")

The next question is:    What else needs to be "optimized" for the new, smaller engine?
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
i've been told i can't go wrong with whatever M Lefevers recommends  :cheers:

Ive heard that too, or what John Beck recommends. Both really good choices

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »
i've been told i can't go wrong with whatever M Lefevers recommends  :cheers:

Mike will not steer you wrong.      You could go a long way to find someone as good.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
The traditional V-8 path is well worn by generations of folks with lots of money and talent.  It is hard for anyone to make a big performance increase there.  The weak spot with them in NA form is breathing.  Bikes are pretty much dominated by four valve engines with downdraft intake ports, updraft exhaust ports, efi, and the ability to rev well over 10,000 rpm.  My bet would go to looking for an engine with good architecture that has these attributes.  The way to success is to recognize and capitalize on things the other guys/gals have not figured out, yet.  That is my advice, although I am a bike racer and have no idea what this engine would be.   

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 12:41:04 AM »
"tell them they could design any engine they wanted and I'm sure we would see something different"

X2!