Author Topic: Trying to decide what class I want to pursue-thoughts?  (Read 9888 times)

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
Trying to decide what class I want to pursue-thoughts?
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »
I've been considering building something in a  Mini-truck class, and since I'm still deeply in the planning stages, I figured a rather ambiguous broad question like this wouldn't be too badly-mannered.    8-)   
Being a Ford guy, I've been thinking about different possible Ranger-based combos, and the one that looks the most appealing would be a "E" class (184 to 260.99 c.i.) in the Blown Modified-Mini Pickup realm.  From everything I can tell, there is NO record set there; someone correct me if I'm wrong.  A 4.0 V6 would fit nicely into that engine class, and there's a couple different options for fitting a M90 Eaton supercharger to this motor.  I've got a rule book sitting next to me right now, and I've have been doing a lot of reading (and have a lot to do!)  Anything wrong with my thinking so far?

Offline 55chevr

Re: Trying to decide what class I want to pursue-thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Where are you located?

Joe

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
West Michigan

Offline BHR301

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
How about narrowing it down to a city...you might find someone close that is interested in helping or working with you or perhaps an already started project you might join.

Bill

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
Hart, right near the Silver Lake Dunes

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »
I know the 3.8L v-6 can handle a bunch of boost; Lawson Bilhardt had one go 190's @ Maxton, 210 @ Loring. May be another Ford engine to consider... I'm partial to turbos, but a well executed supercharger setup has its perks in lack of plumbing, etc. I believe he was running a 4.0L Kenne Bell with air to water intercooler on his. Terry Russell (t_russell on here) helped Lawson crew and drove the car, may be a good source of info.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »
Looking at the 2014 Bonneville Records on the SCTA site, it appears that the E/BMMP is open.  And some of the Blown records are less than the Unblown ones.  Maybe not a bad place to start.  I'd go for a long wheelbase model.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Brickster

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
I picked c/BMMP because of the somewhat soft record. Check out my build thread.
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »
Class selection is all about what you want to do. If you're out to get a record, the choose your class accordingly. If you just wanna have some fun, build what you got and run the crap out of it.

I chose competition coupe solely because it allows a guy to build, what I think, could be a very cool looking car.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
Build a lakester. Only a couple of class rules.

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
Easy to work on. A coupe with all the stuff inside is difficult, streamliner is total commitment. Roadster is classic.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:53:53 AM »
There’s nothing more satisfying than building a roadster, and nothing more maddening than racing it.  Still 0 for 1…

SP
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
Build a small motored Lakester, lots of soft records and 200 MPH Club opportunities  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
Bob, I thought you had all the small motor lakester records! And your records are not soft.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
I like the /BMMP idea... Sure, the Cd won't be great, but: you have a frame for attaching your roll cage, a full bed for holding batteries, water/intercooler/dry sump tanks, relative ease for swapping engines, and pretty
soft records. An extended cab Ranger would do all of that nicely. Run E all the way up through AA using Ford stuff. Lots of aftermarket support for mounting about any engine.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)