Author Topic: The Wait Oh - The Wait. Three Tracks?  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Flylow

• New folks
The Wait Oh - The Wait. Three Tracks?
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
Can a third track be added (again)?  I understand that it is easy to ask for, and hard to make happen.  However, it would be a wise investment.  It would ensure long term success of the Motorcycle Speed Trials. 

We all invest (too) much time and money to go racing.  The wait to run has been almost unbearable.  I have waited up to 6 - 7 hours - several times.  I am not talking about the times we have bad weather.  Several racers (not me) are not coming (back) until the time in line is reduced. 

In 2007, we had a separate track for RWB.  More bikes could run i.e. less wait.  Just as important: It was also a safe place to do shakedown runs.  Waiting for hours, before you can get a run in, may not be an option. You then go "somewhere", to get on the gas (not that i have ever done that).

Last but not least: If possible, please place the pit area across from the center of the timed mile.  This would make spectators and team members return, year after year, to enjoy this great event.

Thank you -Kurt

Offline bak189

Re: The Wait Oh - The Wait. Three Tracks?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
Hey Flylow..............Maybe you can bring about 12 extra people with you to work as volunteers to handle the extra race course........................
Question authority.....always

Offline Flylow

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
Hey Flylow..............Maybe you can bring about 12 extra people with you to work as volunteers to handle the extra race course........................

Listen, I am sure it would take more than an extra 12 people.  How about timing equipment.  Making the track, and much more.  I get it.

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »
Phone God/Jupiter and let him/her know what you are thinking. A large weather diverter would do.
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
I have talked with Delvene about this and I also got the impression it was the extra volunteers needed to run the course that is the biggest hurdle.  I believe she would take care of the timing equipment and track prep if she had enough folks to run it.

Pretty sure in 2007 there was only the RWB track and then the other track for 5 and 10 mile courses, not 3 tracks. I could be wrong about that but if memory serves me right 2007 was the year of 10 hour waits.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:43:43 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
Dan --- your recollection is accurate. The process was greatly improved the next year. 

Joe

Offline Flylow

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:58 PM »
OK then, time to look for volunteers. I have a few friends here in the US and Europe, that are taking their bikes to Speed Week, due to the shorter wait. I must have been lucky in 2007, as i got a lot of runs in.

Offline MJ Williams

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
Warning opinion time.
Some of the long wait time (beside people doing stupid stuff like going the full 11 miles at 53.271mph or riding either backwards or across the track) is because of the FIM record return run policy. By having such a short window you are constantly closing the track to get 1 or 2 riders for a record run before their time runs out. If the time window was relaxed somewhat it would allow for a group of riders making return runs at one time.

It seems to me that by closing the track for say 30 minutes to get 6 return runs at once every few hours beats closing it 10-15 minutes at a time to get 1 run in every hour.

Once again opinion and besides that, who am I to tell the FIM what to do. :dhorse:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
Getting timely return runs in IS WHY WE ARE THERE :cheers:

I like and encourage the RWB...............maybe they could be limited to certain times of the day and all go in set groups........i.e. no return runs needed :-D
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre