Author Topic: Seat padding  (Read 11535 times)

Offline flatman

Seat padding
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
I see that a seat can have 1 inch of padding. Does the padding need to be made of fire retardant material?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Seat padding
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »
YES.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I see that a seat can have 1 inch of padding. Does the padding need to be made of fire retardant material?

YES.

Question where exactly is it written in the rule book the padding is to be fire retardant?  :?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:53:04 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »
Better question -

Why would you want to run with flammable foam under your arse?

:roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline olepaw

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
Good answer
D/CGC record Ohio mile
G/GC   record Ohio mile
H/GC   record Ohio mile
E/FSS  record Ohio mile C/GC TRYING

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »
Better question -

Actually I think you'll find that most seat foams are at least somewhat flammable. The general procedure for cutting down the flammability for a poured seat, as used in most serious race cars is to pour the seat to fit the driver. When it's set the seat is trimmed and checked for fit. It's then taped up with gaffers tape and taken out testing. When it's confirmed that no more modifications are required the final product is covered in a fire resistant material such as Nomex. The Nomex covering could be used for upholstery type seat pads as well.

Personally I'd stay away from anything but a poured seat or no upholstery at all with a tight fitting seat. Anything else allows too much movement when things get exciting and there's a better chance of getting at least partially out of the restraining harness or moving within the harness such that further unnecessary injury occurs.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:36:33 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
Many Bonneville  and lakes vehicles run only a alum seat.[/u] both of the Vesco liners are alum.
These are usually custom made to fit the driver and car / chassis.Any composit seats require SCTA-BNI prior approval
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:13:04 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
Many Bonneville  and lakes vehicles run only a alum seat.[/u] both of the Vesco liners are alum.

That's what I run.  I've got a SF-15 suit which pads my kiester just fine - and besides - we're only going 5 miles.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
Aluminum seats, when designed/constructed sensibly, can be quite comfortable for the short time you are in them.  Most "name brand" racing seats come in a variety of widths and seat angles.  They may not "bolt in" directly without modifications for belts and access to head restraints, but they can usually be modified easily without starting from scratch.  A lot depends on the vehicle you're building.

And it's most advisable to have the driving suit you'll be using on, when considering what you're going to buy or modify.  A –20 suit has some padding built into it -- it's not like sitting on hard aluminum.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
I have a home built aluminum seat and a -20 suit. Quite comfortable.  :lol: Wayno

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »
Better question -

Still not an answer to the question.  Is it written in the rule book anyplace?  Seems to me theres many other items in the drivers compartmnet that are flammable maybe your arse is not sitting on them but theres  lots more around you.  :roll:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
Stiiiiiiiiiiiiill not an answer to the question but I consider myself to be the first level of inspection and the last. As has been stated numerous times, The rule book offers up minimums. You shouldn't be shy about going beyond.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
Ronnie, unless I missed something, you appear to be right.

I looked in the rule book and did not see a rule requiring a fire suppressed padding for the seat.

Headrest padding needs to be SFI cert.

And yes, there are many things that, if ignited in a car, could burn.

Foam seat padding, potentially flammable types or others, is one of them.

But my question remains unanswered as well . . .

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
If you decide to put in something that might be flammable, be sure it is not toxic when it burns...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
I have red 1" simulated vinyl tuck and roll about 3/8" thick over my aluminum seat. It's snaped in like old sprinters, midgets, and champ cars of the 50's & 60's. My choice because I liked that style. I'll leave it in until I'm told to take it out....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro