Author Topic: Andy Sills has died  (Read 18424 times)

Offline comet

Re: Andy Sills has died
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 02:54:49 AM »
From "Hunter Sills Racing" page on Facebook -

"For those who may be comforted to know a bit about what happened to Andy, we want to share that Andy suffered a fatal health issue while riding a straight, clean, beautiful section of CA route 88 near our home in Kirkwood...a road he loved on the BMW GS he loved. He moved on to his next journey while upright aboard his bike. As riders ourselves we hope that gives you an ounce of comfort from terrible visions that understandably run through our heads.

Andy would want you to remember "it's the journey, not the destination." He made his journey by touching so many people in so many personal and special ways. We will miss him indescribably."

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »
That does give a little bit of comfort to know it was not a car or truck that caused this.

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
Andy Sills was one of the most remarkable men I have ever had the honor to meet. The LSR motorcycle racing family has lost one of it’s most talented and respected athletes.
 I first met Andy in 2005 at the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trails. It was my first time working as a volunteer for the BMST. Andy had just made his down run and pulled up to my pop-up at the 5 mile (we only had a 5 mile long course that year). He wanted to know what his speed was in the timed mile (180 something) but he was much more excited to listen to my walkie-talkie as the next rider made her very first pass at Bonneville. That rider was Erin Hunter. When Erin pulled up to my station, Andy was coming out of his racing boots with excitement and pride. I remember Andy asking Erin what she was feeling after her first run at Bonneville , Erin’s reply was “ It felt slow”. I called the tower to get Erin’s speed in the mile and it was over 143mph. Not to bad for a first run. Later in that meet Andy and Erin did one of the only 2 up runs ever allowed at the BMST at over 180 MPH (the second one was Andy and Erin as well).
 The last couple of days have truly been some of the saddest days In resent memory. We will all miss Andy so much. My heart is so breaking for Erin and Andy’s family. It also breaks for anyone who was ever lucky enough to meet the remarkable Andy Sills.
 God Speed Andy…….Robert, Dalton and Kathye Collier
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:22:43 PM by Bobby c »

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »
For the past six years I have been attending the BUB/BMST trials and I regret that I never had the pleasure of meeting Andy nor Erin, although I was aware of their presence and the happiness that flowed from them to others.  I suspect they, like myself, were busy preparing, riding, and greeting everyone whom they met.  It gives me comfort to know that his death was due to a health issue and he died - - with his boots on while doing what he loved.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »
Shortly after hearing the news I was at a showing in the UK of the film "Out of Nothing" which includes interviews with Andy and Erin at the BUB meeting (probably '12).  The production crew, who were present, knew but I wonder how many others understood why that moment caused a lump in my throat. 

Condolences to all who are close to Andy & Erin.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.