Author Topic: Andy Sills has died  (Read 18475 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Andy Sills has died
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
I just heard about it -- that Andy was involved in a motorcycle crash yesterday and has died.  Our sympathies to Erin and to everyone that knew and loved Andy.

if you don't remember him all that well -- he and Erin (his wife) were known best for their attempts to create and set records for the fastest two-rider bike.  They ran in the 180-185+ range, as I remember, at the Shootout a couple of times.  They rode at the BMST and at some SCTA or USFRA events.  One time when they were kind of new Andy wanted to ride the bike he had ridden from home (San Francisco) to the salt -- a brand-new SS1000RR BMW.  They didn't plan to ride -- showed up without leathers or crew or anything.  Andy was a small guy - didn't mind being called "Shorty", in fact -- so was directed to our pit so he could maybe borrow Nancy's leathers.  Those were too big for him (especially in selected areas :roll:), but those of Debbie Dross -- wife of Todd, our crew chief -- did fit.  He had us tape them up to be a little less baggy, though, so he'd go down the course wearing her black leathers decorated with bright green duct tape.  Quite a sight it was.

And when he did back up a record run Todd and Josh and Debbie -- the whole crew - proceeded to do the teardown.  Andy and Eric didn't have tools or the technical wherewithall to do that -- and, for that matter, Todd & Co. had never seen one of the bikes, much less touched one or even read much about 'em.  They proceeded to tear it down, get it certified, and put it back together so Erin and Andy could ride back to SF.  The story has it that they took the "fast" route on the way home -- playing a kind of tag at a buck seventy and more on the highways.

Andy was a great guy.  May he rest in peace.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

Re: Andy Sills has died
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »
Awful news, I'm very sorry for Erin and all of Andy's family. Here's the scene you describe Jon. Dean

Offline comet

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
This is such sad news to read.

Andy was a really great guy and will be missed by more people than he could know. A true gent, and a real advocate for motorcycling and Bonneville. Dawn and I enjoyed some time with Andy, and Erin, down at mile 0 a couple of years back, and we feel very lucky to have done so.

Our thoughts and condolences are with Erin and their family.

RIP Andy.

John

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
that is terrible.  Our thoughts go out to Erin and the family.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »
RIP, Andy .
condolences to Erin .

really nice guy.
I knew they were a couple, but did not know there was a ring involved.

Bill Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
They still are/were newlyweds.  They tied the knot a year or so ago.  Soon after (I think it was) they toured all over the country -- getting near, but not to, our house even.  I remember them going to Europe, and of course, Erin was named the lady motorcyclist of the year just a few months ago.  Way too many fond and fun memories to have them come to an end.

By the way - Eric let Nancy and me take turns running her GSXR1000 down the course at one event or another.  Great fun - and we all ran about the same speed, proving that none of us was much better than any other on that bike.  Andy cheered us on each time, of course.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:17 AM »
That is terrible news. Poor Erin. My condolences to her and all of Andy's family.

I spent two days at BMST mile 0 long course camped out with them last year waiting for the course to open. We spent a lot of time talking about bikes and life. He was a very intelligent and energetic rider.

It is tragic that we will not be seeing him again.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
So sorry to hear this!! I didnt get to know Andy and Erin well. We did swap a few lies I mean stories in the staging lanes. My heart goes out to Erin. RIP Andy.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
http://www.landracing.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=261&page=8

What a hard time, at first Earl, now we lost Andy

Andy worked so hard all the years to became a member of the 200 Club....at last he could work it out in 2013...and since this he went faster and faster

he was a great character....a great sportsman....and he had a big heart.....

over the years I had some funny situations with him...some of them was hilarious...it was in 2013....at the starting line he just felt over with the bike about one yard off the line...
when he was back on his own feet he said....d..amn, this was the first time ever it happened to me....and I said....and you have to get so old for that....we both LOL....he was simple too fast to get his boots from the salt....

Andy, I will miss you, R.I.P.

condolence to Erin, my heart is with you

Ps. the above line....there are the picture from the "two-rider" runs in 2011, here under my photo gallery on Landracing
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of Andy.

Andy tried for years to enter the Bonneville 200 Club. Sending in petitions several times detailing his achievements at BMST but his records were not accepted because of by-law requirements. He did not complain, just went out and tried harder. 2013 was his year and he was very, very appreciative when I handed him his red hat.

I sat with him just last year at Bakersfield during the March Meet, life is so brief and unexpected.

To Erin, Joanie and I send our prayers and best wishes,
D
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

velocity

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Oh no, no no. . .

The day has gone cloudy and dark all of a sudden. . .

Here a peek at a happier day.

They were both adventurous with a great joy.

Erin - A great big hug to you

Andy - May the Lord bless you and keep you

LandSpeed Louise
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:57:16 PM by velocity »

velocity

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
For those of you who may not have known the man under the helmet. . ., I offer this image of a man in his element with his woman, where little else mattered but next run.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
Nancy and I still haven't heard - what happened to Andy?  We learned that it was a motorcycle crash - but that's all we know.  On the street?  Got hit by someone?  If you know the sad story -- please let us know.  If it's something that isn't ready to be released to the world -- thanks - don't bother to tell us.  We'll understand, and still think good things about him.

Nancy and I spent lots of time with Erin and Andy, as has been said here.  We ate with them, raced with them, pitted with them -- knew and loved them.  As is all too often the case -- Bonneville just won't be the same without him.  Rest in peace, Shorty.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
This is sad to read.  He was a nice fellow and had an infectious sense of humor.  He will be missed.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08:03 AM »
I read that it was a single bike accident no one else involved.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.