Author Topic: Lakester discussion AA/BFL  (Read 11044 times)

Offline javajoe79

Lakester discussion AA/BFL
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »
 I have acquired a lakester that is unfinished to build. It has some issues that I want to bring up and I would also love to hear any ideas or feedback anyone might have.

It is about 26' long and made from an auxiliary fuel tank. It was built to fit a BBC with a large BDS blower on top with carbs. Seems to be plenty of room for any trans and rear end combo as well. It currently is only a frame and body.

My main current concerns are with the roll structure which appears to be part DOM and part ERW. I don't like the ERW but it seems as if the rule book does not prohibit it unless I missed that somewhere. Either way I am considering redoing some or all of the roll structure.

Planning a quickchange or 9" but leaning towards the quickie for the higher gearing.

Lenco trans or turbo 400.

Engine may make 1500hp. 500ci + blown BBC on alky. Zoomy headers or full length in the air?

Front beam axle? Who uses what here?

4 link suspension with watts link front and rear is the plan. Maybe pushrods.

Came with formed lexan canopies. Thinking forward hinged.

Thinking 30" mickey's for the rear and something smaller up front.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Lakester discussion AA/BFL
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
thought I was posting in a private message
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:16:29 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »
Thanks Sparky. I will be in touch. When is a good time?
615-210-1605

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
How about some pics so we can see what you have?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
now
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »

615-210-1605

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
Well you certainly did describe it as "unfinished".   A lot of welding ahead for you.

Joe

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
ooooooo this thing sure could look bitichin when these guys get through  :cheers: another tank  yeah !! see shades of Charles and strange days!!!

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 11:52:42 PM »
Well you certainly did describe it as "unfinished".   A lot of welding ahead for you.

Joe
Yeah man, no joke.....  Lot's of welding to do and probably will redo the roll structure. Too many bad notches there and would rather it be DOM
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »
ooooooo this thing sure could look bitichin when these guys get through  :cheers: another tank  yeah !! see shades of Charles and strange days!!!
Yeah I think it looks cool as all get out...
615-210-1605

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:32 AM »
Envious!!!... of all that interior space!!!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, you might need a little more space when you park your 747 in there at night! :-o
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »
You certainly have a pretty good starter with some obvious things that need to be changed. Redoing the cage is a good idea as the structure around it is pretty poorly designed, I would also ditch the F104 tail structure, not very aero. Looking at what is there you appear to have plenty of room but wait until you get the blown BBC/Turbo 400/ QC  in it then it will definitely be filling up! I happen to be one that believes that on a lakester the wheel/tires should be a fair distance from the body just to insure that the air disturbance from the wheel/tires has the least disturbance of the air going around the body. You see lots of lakesters with wheels mounted close to the body and they will have a salt deposit just in front of the tires, which to me just indicates that the air is not flowing well between the body and the wheel/tire. If you are going to run individual headers I would suggest looking at what the Contrivance Engineering people have done on their modified roadster. I have attached a pic. I talked to them regarding this configuration and they said that for the small amount of additional horsepower that they found with equal length headers they had so much increased drag hanging out in the air that the individual pipes with a fairing were a much better choice. I would not make them zoomie style as they really screws up the air flow over the body.

It is going to be fun watching you get this car completed so please keep us updated.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
I like the idea on those headers Rex. I wonder if they have issues with getting accurate readings with the O2 sensor so close to the end like that?
615-210-1605

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
Those Contrivance guys don't have a clue what they're doing -- running that awkward '23 body!

It's just a coincidence that they hold the AA, A, B, C, D, E/Gas Modified Roadster records at Bonneville.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records