Author Topic: Earl Wooden  (Read 6194 times)

Offline TomStewart

• New folks
Earl Wooden
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
I'm sorry to report that Earl is in the 5th mile of life. We placed him in Hospice a few days ago, a wonderful organization, and he is comfortable, but the end is near. The racing community means so much to Earl, and we wanted to share this news. Thanks so much.

Tom Stewart
Kaylin Stewart
Jessica Stewart
Christy White

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Earl Wooden
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
 :cry: WHAT A CLASS ACT!!!!!!!!!!! 

Earl you will be remembered and cherished as a racer and a quality human!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »
Earl is one of our long time Bonneville Heroes!  He is one of the original out of the box thinkers/racers.
Take care Earl  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
In the mile ready to shut it down, what a run! There's crew waiting.
  Sid.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »
RIP Earl. We will miss you :-(
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
Sorry to hear of Earl's passing. Earl was a member of both the Bonneville 200 MPH Club, 300 MPH Chapter and the El Mirage 200 MPH Club.
Earl always had the best interests of the SCTA and the salt in his heart. He will be missed.

Joanie and I will keep his family and extended family in our prayers.

DW
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

velocity

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
Jess Stewart sweetly, kindly helped me bid farewell to Earl yesterday on the phone. I wanted to remind him that few old dudes his age still looked "studdly" in a sleeveless  T shirt and that his race cars were always something to never be taken for granted. The man delivered.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »
Earl was a class act.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
Another familiar name on the salt -- gone from us.  We saw him run the yellow CC a number of times - and it was one of the few cars that got me hooked on LSR.  Thanks, Earl.  May you rest in peace.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
Okay, here's my Earl Wooden story.  (Note:  I said story, like in how I wish to remember it.  "Facts" may not be true and/or merged with other years, but still a good story.)

Ten years ago, when Earl ran his streamliner at SpeedWeek, we (and others) had dinner at the now-lamented Salt Cellar at the now-lamented State Line.  He told of his interesting run . . .

He'd installed some whiz-bang Formula 1 or something 4-wheel brakes on the liner.  Somewhere on the run, something had gone wrong.  He got on the new rooty-zooty brakes and came to a stop on the course after shutting the engine down.  Those brakes were a smokin'!  Here comes the rescue crew to deal with the smoke coming out of both ends.  He says, Oh Shitt, and restarts the motor.  Throws it in gear, clutches it to get started and smokes his new whiz-bang clutch, too.  He said the brakes got so hot they melted the weights on wheels.  It wasn't one of his best days.

But it was entertaining dinner conversation -- or maybe just how I remember it.  Great guy!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:32:04 PM »
I'll see your Bonneville story Stan and bump the ante up with an El Mirage story.

Earl was a dedicated race day guy. He didn't hold any compassion for foolishness on race week end. One of his pet peeves were the party people keeping him awake on Saturday night and DOGS! He didn't cotton to having to step around little piles of stuff in the morning. We carried in our trailer, I think Mike Manghelli came up with this, a fake pile of stuff like you would purchase in one of those novelty shops. We would periodically place that little pile on or near his trailer in the morning and watch the fireworks.

Earl was a big advocate of the black center line at Bonneville. Someone on our crew once placed a piece of black tape down the middle of the windshield of the coupe. That one was also not appreciated.

You had to be there.

RIP Earl my friend.
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
LOVE the tape story!!  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
Earl was a good friend of the other Stewart family and will be missed. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »
This for a great racer and friend - Earl R.I.P.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)