Author Topic: Flathead Dry Sump Conversion  (Read 3640 times)

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
Flathead Dry Sump Conversion
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:01 AM »
Gents,

I know many have been done. Any suggestions here on a Flathead Dry Sump Conversion. Pics or links to other threads are greatly appreciated. My car will be in XF/GL. Engine is a '51 Truck Motor.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:41:06 AM by FABRK8R »

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
Re: Flathead Dry Sump Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »
135 views & all I hear is crickets,... btt
 :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »
Ya get what ya pay for -- maybe.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
We are looking to see your plan for the dry sump.  :-o
 You could try to find info on the FlatFire or contact Ron Main for info on how he did it.  If you are looking for an off the shelf Dry Sump check with these guys http://www.uncommonengineering.com/
or just run a big pan of oil  :-D  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:27:25 AM »
Dry-sumping a flathead V8 would seem straighforward to me. What am I not seeing?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:40:32 AM »
dry sumping a Flathead may be fairly simple to someone who has experience with such things but like FABRK8R I have absolutely no experience with dry sump oil systems. I would suggest looking at dry sump systems that in general, like google "dry sump systems 101". I got this http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/engine/high-performance-oiling-101-should-you-dry-sump/  Also you could study the Flatcad build diary as they install a dry sump on their Flathead Cadillac

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
Dry-sumping a flathead V8 would seem straighforward to me. What am I not seeing?

dry sumping a Flathead may be fairly simple to someone who has experience with such things but like FABRK8R I have absolutely no experience with dry sump oil systems. I would suggest looking at dry sump systems that in general, like google "dry sump systems 101". I got this http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/engine/high-performance-oiling-101-should-you-dry-sump/  Also you could study the Flatcad build diary as they install a dry sump on their Flathead Cadillac

All good advice.    Familiarize yourself with schematic diagrams of dry sump layouts for starters, so you have some idea of what is required.

Of course any engine can be "dry sumped".     And "kits" exist for the more popular applications.     When there is no "kit" available for your application, you need to realize that there is very little demand from racers.

Having said that, I have installed dry sump systems on various "unique" applications.    Having a good relationship with a dry sump manufacturer is helpful, but you are probably going to have to machine or fabricate a few of the "bits" yourself or at least locally.

I suggest you start with an e-mail inquiry to various dry sump pump/pan mfg's to see if they might have mounting/other parts available, but not cataloged.    Also ask what they might recommend for a dry sump pump.    You will need to provide them with some info like displacement, rpm intended, etc.

Get used to the idea that some of the parts will come from "off the shelf", ie, intended for other applications, but suitable for yours.    AND, that some will need to be "custom fabricated.     You will probably be "on your own" or be searching for a custom fabricator or "prototype machine shop" to produce those.

Lastly, opt for enough scavenge capacity/stages to create a low/moderate vacuum inside the crankcase of your engine.    With lowered pressure in the crankcase, you will be able to take advantage of a low radial tension piston ring package.      You will probably need 3 scavenge stages, coupled with 1 pressure stage in the pump.     And don't be stingy on hose diameters.     You can screw your system over by trying to save money on smaller diameter line sizes.    Don't be tempted.

Good luck with  the project.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:00:24 PM »
All thank you for the links. Fordboy, thanks for the in depth insight. I will research them all & deem the art of the possible.

:cheers: Cheers!