Author Topic: CLASSIC Ign. question  (Read 2813 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
CLASSIC Ign. question
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »
could one run coil near plugs  with a carb setup in Classic with an Edelbrock #91238 or MSD timing control module.  They should function the same as a MSD 6 or 7 box just has 8 coils instead of one.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline johnneilson

Re: CLASSIC Ign. question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »
See the rule book, section 5.C

Doesn't sound promising. The rule book is pretty clear.

And I thought that I stirred up the pot sometimes............................. :dhorse:
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:41:07 AM »
What did the committee say when you proposed the question to them? Section 16 of your ruel book.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:33 AM »
Cmon now sparky... you can't spell CLASSIC with C-O-P! The intent of classic is to keep things vintage-esqe. That COP ignition controller is a computer... totally not allowed unless it came with OEM in which you'd have to use the original equipment.

Wanna know something funny? You can run a computerized ignition in vintage but not in classic! Maybe you should do something in the vintage category instead since higher tech is allowed.  Oh the irony of it all.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
Nate, The coil on plug ignition systems can just as simple as a dist. capacitive discharge system---the Edlebrock has no provision for MAP boost feedback, it does have rev limiters like the ones allowed is CLASSIC rules.  There is no feed back that is not in a vacuum advance dist.

The MSD unit does have up to 4 bar feed back depending on your MAP sensor you choose. If your choice is a no bar sensor you have a vacuum advance system. 

Sometimes I am accused of stirring the pot--- but it is with inquiring minds and discussions like these that we really learn the rules.

The irony as Nate says is these LS ignition systems are just as simple as  a vacuum advance dist. whose position sensor is the gear that is driven of the camshaft as opposed to picking up its position from a reluctor wheel.

I know that there are ways to install  dist. or Mags, on a LS motor with gear drives or belt drives
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
IMO it doesn't matter how "simple" it may or not may not be.  That's not the point.  The point is that classic requires running classic type equipment which COP is not.  Same thing I argued about vintage ignitions.  It doesn't matter if someone's distributorless crank trigger ignition doesn't use a knock sensor.... it still isn't vintage!

BTW by your same argument, EFI should be allowed because it does the same thing that a carburetor does.  Just because it does the same thing doesn't mean it should be allowed.

:dhorse:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »
See the rule book, section 5.C

Doesn't sound promising. The rule book is pretty clear.

And I thought that I stirred up the pot sometimes............................. :dhorse:

You do!  :evil:  :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ