Author Topic: XF/GL Engine Rules/Possibilities???  (Read 18578 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: XF/GL Engine Rules/Possibilities???
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
do not forget the crunchies if you are going to run B'Ville
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »
... You must have thee flathead of all flatheads if you need desmo valve control...

... There was never desmo... valve control during the vintage era...
I agree about no known flathead needing desmodromic.

But there's seldom anything "new under the sun" in engine development; pretty much everything has been tried before. In the mid 1920's there was a sleeve valve car engine that was desmodromic. Instead of the usual crank/rod arrangement to move the sleeves, it had one camshaft to lift them and another to lower them. Probably also was some "vintage era" desmodromic poppet valve engine, but I can't think of one right now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:55:16 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
Jack,

hmmm,... too many years in Deutschland has me spelling it Desmotronic "Desmodromic" Lol

anyhoo,... got the idear looking at Momma's 695 Monster,... thought it was worth the question & conversations :-D

Pickle,

hmmmm,... Wondered about the high rig too,... kinda like put the tank in the clean air. My thought on low & flat was that it would trim off some frontal area to make the hole in the air "mo-smallish"!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 12:52:57 AM »
... You must have thee flathead of all flatheads if you need desmo valve control...

... There was never desmo... valve control during the vintage era...
I agree about no known flathead needing desmodromic.

But there's seldom anything "new under the sun" in engine development; pretty much everything has been tried before. In the mid 1920's there was a sleeve valve car engine that was desmodromic. Instead of the usual crank/rod arrangement to move the sleeves, it had one camshaft to lift them and another to lower them. Probably also was some "vintage era" desmodromic poppet valve engine, but I can't think of one right now.

Jack, I'm sure you're right about desmo existing in one form or another but when I say there was no desmo in the vintage era, I meant the vintage dry lakes racing era. That seems to be what our vintage rules are based on largely... unless we're talking ignition systems.  Anyways...
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 12:21:40 AM »
Nathan- yeah, I understand the spirit of the 'vintage' classes & rules. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents-worth of engine trivia. The example I was remembering was 1923 - 1934 Imperia (Belgian; ancestor of the present-day Imperia high-performance hybrid car). But I remembered wrongly; it was desmo slide valves, not sleeve valves.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Way I understand it though,... other than the block being an old flatty & no overhead valves,...

XF/GL is a special construction class, which is not as "restrictive" about things like EFI & such like the vintage classes according to the RB.

I also understand the just because you can, should you? & in the spirit of being historicaly correct,... mucho respect for the trad rodders.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 07:49:56 PM »
You sure won't be the first one to run EFI on a flathead. If you want to, go for it.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
Next thing you know he'll want to let the 1952 air out of his tires and put in new stuff.  :roll: Wayno

Offline dw230

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
If you want to see your competition using EFI will keep you within sight of them.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Next thing you know he'll want to let the 1952 air out of his tires and put in new stuff.  :roll: Wayno

psssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhh!

:-D

I am leaning towads a custom manifold, port fuel injection(20 or 22lb target of 250-280hp), crank trigger, wideband O2's & a mega squirt computer. GDI seems counter productive because of the style of engine(being side valve) in question. Anyone have good examples of similar set ups on Flatheads. Like ya'll say, surely not the first. Have found many on the web,... just asking of examples being run here?

Really do like the old hilborn set up for nastalgia sake,... but think I'm gonna go a bit more intuitive.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:54:45 PM by FABRK8R »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
I have just 2 part throttle passes at El Mirage on my setup. We'll know more this year. Wayno

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »

My project so far, efi with Eaton supercharger

bought a lot of the stuff to build the intake from http://www.rossmachineracing.com/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:36:57 PM by saltracer1 »