Author Topic: XF/GL Engine Rules/Possibilities???  (Read 18655 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: XF/GL Engine Rules/Possibilities???
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »
Hi Sean
 Yes XF/GL is normally asperated if you wanted you could run a supercharger the class would then be XF/BGL thats what I run with my lakester XF/BGL my lakester body is also a hellcat drop tank body. My supercharger is a 671 GMC makes the old flathead turn on nicley over 174 in the mile so far for my lakester.
 Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
My water tank is 15 gallons. Wayno

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
My water tank is 15 gallons. Wayno
Wayno Thanks same size as mine.
 Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
Not sure on this, but I doubt whether there is adequate space to fit a desmo system in a vintage block.

I could be wrong though.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
Ronnie-Thanks much Brother Hellcat, nice runnin'!. Guess the no one over 200mph XF/GL carrot waivin' has got me thinkin' wild thoughts. Honestly makin' it to the salt & doin' that first run with friends & family will be the purest joy of this adventure. Any pics of what you did for the chassis?

Fordboy-would surely agree that it would be pretty tight (if at all possible),... guess I wouldn't put it past some of those krazy fellers here :mrgreen: to make it work though  :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
The unblown record is 196 and it's 12 years old.

The blown record is 214.

And Elmo Rodge is just waiting for a good course to go 200.

You'd better hurry.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »

Sean heres a link to our build diary we started a LONG time ago it hasnt been update for some time. The chassisi is still the same the only major change has been the cage I moved it six inches back and made it a bit lower also added a canopy. The original cage is hanging in my shop didnt want to jsut throw it away.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4354.0.html

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »

Sean more insperation heres an in car video of my lakester flathead runs 172 in the mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xpBsWCTwo&feature=em

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 01:46:40 AM »
Thought was that the desmo would eliminate the whole valve float deal, though it may not be worth the effort, wanted to know the answer for curiosity sake. good to know on the heads for sure!!!

You must have thee flathead of all flatheads if you need desmo valve control.  Sounds like Jimmy Stevens might need to be concerned about you.  IMO the point of the vintage class is to keep things sorta vintage-esque… mechanically at least.  There was never desmo or pneumatic valve control during the vintage era.  Not that I have any authority over the matter but if I were polled as a vintage engine racer about this, I'd vote no way Jose.  Nice to dream though.  :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Pickle

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »
I don't mean to hijack things but Ronnie do you have more pics of your tank before you cut it? I just started a build with a tank that looks identical to yours but the seller said it was from an AD-1. If it is a p38 tank i know where two more sit for sale right now.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 06:05:53 PM »
The pictures of your tank are identical to my tank. This size and shape drop tank was used on a lot of aircraft a lot more than many think. Besides the Navy using them they were also used on Army aircraft.
 Last year at a local air show I saw a restored large amphibious twin engine air plane from the WW2 era that had two of these tanks one under each wing the tanks were both in flawless condtion. 
    My thinking is this tank is a universal tank used by all forces and for many type of aircraft. To my knowledge at the 300 gallon capacity it is the second largest aluminum drop tank made for the war. The largest was for the P-38 which I think was 330 gallon. For some reason a lot of these tanks are now becoming avalible I know a guy in Arizona had a dozen of them a while back thats where I got my second one. I have no plans of ever cutting it up its a neat conversation piece in my shop. My second tank is Army green and my first tank was Navy blue. I cannot find any build information on my second tank but it is identical in every aspect.
 On the side of my first tank I found the build information that says Naval Aircraft Factory Philadelphia PA. other information listed is capacity 300 gallons the weight and a serial number.
   With careful planing you can put a lot of stuff in this size tank I know from experiance heck I have become a pacaging expert because of this project.
 Ron

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:35:23 PM »
Ronnie,
Kool deal man, thanks for sharin'. :cheers:

Nate,
Just thinkin' out the box, little old me is just a fart in the wind. They got's pros to worry about.  :-D I dream about the moon & sometimes ya gotta jus' realize that the stairs only go's to the 6th floor.

Stan,
Lol,... I am hurry'n, just a little slow is all!

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »
Nuggets fer the friendly neighborhood hijackers,... :-D

After researchin' my F6F Hellcat tank,... I found this info on the web about a 150gal F-1000 Drop Tank Data plate,...

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37801

The tank also fit the AD-1 Skyraider, AM-1 Mauler, F7F Tigercat, F8F Bearcat, F4U Corsair(s)/F2G Super Corsair, A-26/JD-1 Invader, UF Albatros, A2D Skyshark & AF Guardian.

Makes sense to build one & fit multiple rigs,... stop in any time fellers,... the water's fine :-D!

Warbirds are sweet!

Offline FABRK8R

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »
Another question,... how low can you go???

looking at running the Goodyear Eagle Dragway Special Land Speed Tire (D2286) 28"x4.5"x15" on the rear,...

... I do not see anything refering to scrub line (ie;belly of car not hanging bellow lip of wheel incase of a flat),... seems like you can drop the shell on the ground,... any recomendations to minimum height in respect to depth of salt on let's say a 2500#'r with 4.5 rear wheels with possibly a thinner/smaller front tire (thinking 25x4.5x15 but am very open to narrower size suggestions)???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:21:08 PM by FABRK8R »

Offline Pickle

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:06 PM »
With the time I have spent poking around on here there seems to be two schools of thought, at time with heated debate. One is to keep it high and limit the mirroring effect from the ground, the other is drop it down and keep what you can out from under the body. I subscribe to the second personally. Im in the process of setting up my tank as well and as I understand there is no limit on proximity to the ground. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

James