Author Topic: Gasoline octane  (Read 10321 times)

Offline DaveB

Gasoline octane
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »
There is a common misconception that the higher the octane number the more power the gasoline makes. Most people coming to this site probably understand fuel very well but I thought I'd just throw out some interesting information with regard to octane rating and energy available from gasoline. What I'm saying here are generalities. There are exceptions to everything.

The octane rating is the ability of a fuel (we're talking about gasoline) to resist ignition before you want it to ignite. Ignition can take place by spark (what we want) or by compression and/or heat (we usually don't want this). This resistance to the wrong kind of ignition, higher octane, allows the engine to use higher compression and that's what gives higher horsepower.

Energy available from gasoline is usually measured in BTU and is effected by octane less than by many other factors.

An example may be an engine with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio and computerized engine management that seems to run OK on 87 octane gas. The computer engine management system has maybe turned back timing advance or increased richness so it did not knock on low octane fuel. When you put 92 octane gas in it it runs better because the engine management is operating it closer to optimum so it makes more power.

Another example may be a lower performance engine that runs fine on 87 octane. No power increase takes place with higher octane fuel because the parameters were tuned to the lower octane fuel. Fuel octane needs matched to the engine set up and high performance engines often need higher octane.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline debgeo

Re: Gasoline octane
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:26:24 PM »
THANKS that was useful info for myself and probably others :cheers:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
There is a common misconception that the higher the octane number the more power the gasoline makes. Most people coming to this site probably understand fuel very well but I thought I'd just throw out some interesting information with regard to octane rating and energy available from gasoline. What I'm saying here are generalities. There are exceptions to everything.

The octane rating is the ability of a fuel (we're talking about gasoline) to resist ignition before you want it to ignite. Ignition can take place by spark (what we want) or by compression and/or heat (we usually don't want this). This resistance to the wrong kind of ignition, higher octane, allows the engine to use higher compression and that's what gives higher horsepower.

Energy available from gasoline is usually measured in BTU and is effected by octane less than by many other factors.

An example may be an engine with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio and computerized engine management that seems to run OK on 87 octane gas. The computer engine management system has maybe turned back timing advance or increased richness so it did not knock on low octane fuel. When you put 92 octane gas in it it runs better because the engine management is operating it closer to optimum so it makes more power.

Another example may be a lower performance engine that runs fine on 87 octane. No power increase takes place with higher octane fuel because the parameters were tuned to the lower octane fuel. Fuel octane needs matched to the engine set up and high performance engines often need higher octane.

Exactly.

For more on this idea, read my thread, "Compression Ratios, What do They Mean?"

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,12353.0.html

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
fordboy628 said "Exactly"

Coming from you that means a lot.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
Well, this leads to an interesting question.

In the gasoline classes at Bonneville, we're limited in choices to these three ERC products.

R + M / 2 method

A-19A       119
110-K       110.3
MUL/B       101  (unleaded)

http://www.ercracingfuels.com/sxs1.htm

In the "Grenade", we ran the A-19A, despite the fact that we were only at 13.2 CR.

Realistically, seeing what most guys run in road racing events with somewhat higher compression ratios in their BMC engines, the 110-K would likely have been fine at Bonneville. 

We tested on a chemically similar fuel to the A-19, C-14, which is made by VP.  The octane was similar, as well as the specific gravity.  I wanted to keep SG constant between the dyno and Bonneville to remove the variable, because we were running a carburetor, rather than EFI, and were making adjustments on the salt.

So the questions are as follows -

Can a denser fuel compensate for lack of anti-knock properties?

Is it possible to over-octane a combination?

Higher octane usually equates to a slower burning fuel, so is it possible that a less complete burn occurs with a higher octane fuel than a lower octane brethren?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck out here and assume that your 13.2:1 compression ratio is calc'd CR (swept volume).  It will probably be less at Bonneville altitudes with the thinner air.

YMMV
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck out here and assume that your 13.2:1 compression ratio is calc'd CR (swept volume).  It will probably be less at Bonneville altitudes with the thinner air.

YMMV

I've been told about 10-12% less.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:24:11 AM »
The mention of slower burning fuel reminds me of my 283 B gas dragster back in the 60s when I'd go to a different part of the country with unfamiliar local pump gas . It would take several runs of experimenting with spark lead and jetting to get close to normal time slips .

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
The ratio is a comparison, and it's constant, and not affected by air density.
What goes down is cranking pressure and combustion pressure.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »
The ratio is a comparison, and it's constant, and not affected by air density.
What goes down is cranking pressure and combustion pressure.

True - compression ratio remains constant - the quantity of a/f charge changes with air density, and if left unadjusted, so does the a/f ratio. 

Maximizing that charge by varying ignition and cam timing are a given, but . . .

I'm wondering about picking a fuel that burns at a rate that maximizes the combustion pressure during the combustion event - burning as completely as possible, and extracting as much pressure as possible before the exhaust valve opens. 

Might a slower burning, higher octane fuel, intended to diminish knock, possibly provide less combustion pressure than a lower octane, faster burning fuel?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
Different in many ways, but doesn't diesel fuel/engine take advantage of the slower burn rate of the fuel - to make a gob of extra torque?  The fire is still burning and the charge expanding when gasoline would have long been burned.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »
Different in many ways, but doesn't diesel fuel/engine take advantage of the slower burn rate of the fuel - to make a gob of extra torque?  The fire is still burning and the charge expanding when gasoline would have long been burned.

Slim, yes to a certain degree. One reason Nitro is used for Fuel, besides the BTU's.
Back some years ago when racing karts or very hi speed motors (14-19k/revs) ran best on minimum octane fuel. I used the oil to also suppress the detonation. If this was done incorrectly, it made quite a mess in a very short amount of time.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
I'd run the lowest Octane you dare run. To high on Octane will result in lower top end RPM. There is some room to play with without making to big a difference, but you can get past the "sweat spot" on either side as far as Octane goes.

To high on Octane is cheaper to fix though.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »

To high on Octane is cheaper to fix though.

Yep - and less to clean up.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
The common knowledge is that octane increase slows the burn that is not true. It "may be true for a specific fuel" but is not due to the octane, but rather the choice of fuel components used in the fuel.

Sunnoco Maximal is their highest octane blend and is also their fastest burning fuel.

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/files/1513/7344/4603/SUNOCO_MAXIMAL_SPEC_050905.pdf

Fuel mixes which are high in toluene tend to burn slower, because of toluenes very low volatility (poor evaporation in the intake tract).

Fuel burn speed also depends strongly on fuel air mixture, so if you significantly alter your fuel air mix you have also unintentionally modified your effective ignition timing. Fastest burn speed typically occurs around max power mixture which is usually assumed to be about 12.5:1 but some fuels have different ideal mixtures for best burn speed.

The slow burn speed of some high octane fuels is not due to the octane rating but is only a coincidental relationship.

On page 9 of this pdf is a chart that shows the effect of changing fuel air mixture on burn speed for both gasoline and fuel ethanol

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/presentations/gni-mjb-051303.pdf