Author Topic: Overseas competitors?  (Read 43844 times)

Offline Texican

Re: Overseas competitors?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »
The Brit's are coming back. Even after the disappointment of last year, where we never even got our bikes out of the vans, which was a bit of a pain for my team as we were going to sleep in ours on the "Bend". Ended up getting ripped off by a motel owner who raised his prices from $40 to $175 a night because it was Speed Week, even though everyone was going home!
Can't wait, my Indian Scout is now supercharged, & the whole team has some pretty good machines, we're shipping over a 40ft container full of them. "Salt Fever" is a horrible disease, it empties your wallet & makes you live in your garage for every spare second.
Anyone else coming from overseas?
  You might ask Jon if there is a problem with you calling the bounder out by name. If enough people read about this person, they might find their self with about a 15% occupancy.
Good Luck!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
I understand the Project 64 Mini out of New Zealand is planning to return this year.

I think they just pack it up in the overhead on the flight . . .

Does it require that much space?
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »
We'll be along again this year too sharing container space.
I think all accomodation in Wendover triples (at least) in price for speed week, doesn't it?
We were slow off the mark this time booking the Nugget and missed it. Booked the Montego across the street instead. Is that the most costly Wendover hotel? :roll:

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »
Make sure there are some St George or Union Jacks flying so we can drop by the Brits pits.  This is our 3rd visit over for Speed Week as spectators so if we don't bump into anyone on the start line we'll have a wander round the pits.  Hope you all have a safe trip!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:04 PM »
We are going the other way.  The bike is on the water and should be in London on 1 April or thereabouts. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »
Phil, I won't be racing this year, but I'll be there in a V8 powered Frogeye Sprite with a bad paint job and a case of Old Speckled Hen in the boot.

We'll warm one up for you.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
Phil, I won't be racing this year, but I'll be there in a V8 powered Frogeye Sprite with a bad paint job and a case of Old Speckled Hen in the boot.

We'll warm one up for you.  :cheers:
Beautiful, on both counts! Saw a Frogeye up close for the first time last year at Le Mans, such character. And with Speckled Hen warming nicely it's even better.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
Make sure there are some St George or Union Jacks flying so we can drop by the Brits pits.  This is our 3rd visit over for Speed Week as spectators so if we don't bump into anyone on the start line we'll have a wander round the pits.  Hope you all have a safe trip!
There should be plenty of Union Jacks flying, we have a 40ft container full of bikes, make sure you drop in & say hello!
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
The Brit's are coming back. Even after the disappointment of last year, where we never even got our bikes out of the vans, which was a bit of a pain for my team as we were going to sleep in ours on the "Bend". Ended up getting ripped off by a motel owner who raised his prices from $40 to $175 a night because it was Speed Week, even though everyone was going home!
Can't wait, my Indian Scout is now supercharged, & the whole team has some pretty good machines, we're shipping over a 40ft container full of them. "Salt Fever" is a horrible disease, it empties your wallet & makes you live in your garage for every spare second.
Anyone else coming from overseas?
  You might ask Jon if there is a problem with you calling the bounder out by name. If enough people read about this person, they might find their self with about a 15% occupancy.
Good Luck!
Bonneville Motel
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline maj

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »
Are you guys allowing any extra shipping time because of the port strike backlog ?
i have had 2 reports, one said a month extra another 2-6 weeks

Offline sabat

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »
Are you guys allowing any extra shipping time because of the port strike backlog ?
i have had 2 reports, one said a month extra another 2-6 weeks

I need to remember this during my 2100 mile drive - it could be much worse. Good luck Greg :)

Offline mbuk

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 08:47:24 AM »
We are shipping the bikes to New York and then by rail to Los Angeles to get round the strike.

Andrew

Offline jww36

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
If any of you overseas competitors need space to organize or store bikes from arrival in LA until Wendover departure, let me know. Have a metal fab shop in Costa Mesa, CA, about 30 minutes South of LA.
John Weatherwax
Cutting Edge Metal Specialties
Costa Mesa, CA
USA

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
Bit of a shot in the dark here.  While at the Isle of Man TT this year we visited the new Motor Museum they have in Jurby and saw the Manx Gas bike which I think ran over at Bonneville in 2012, this was parked in the window with a couple of other bikes.  One in particular got me and Lennie staring trying to work out just what on earth it was.  A volunteer wandered over and explained that it was a steam bike which was supposed to be going over to Bonneville this year.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I can't attach any pictures as they are all too big unfortunately.  The thing that stuck in my mind was that the lad explained "it sounds like an earthquake" so would love to see this wonder of engineering on the move.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »
Microsoft Office has a program with the option to resize pictures.  It is easy to use and trims them down to workable size.