Author Topic: High School in a bind - need help  (Read 8525 times)

Offline techteacher

Re: High School in a bind - need help
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »
I`m sure that`s the impression a lot of people would have. Truth is the name doesn't mean anything. I teach 5 classes and excluding the freshman this year I average 5 to 8 students with cars out of 4 classes that have 28 students each. They're not euro cars either. Old Honda's, Toyota's and other American iron, etc,etc that they can`t even afford to repair. I wouldn't let my daughter close to some of those cars. Most parents don't let their kid's take my class. They're on AP Pathways(college bound) that won't allow auto classes to be taken. They drive the big money cars. I'm just trying to do the right thing, eventually there won't be any auto classes. It's already started.            
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:53:38 PM by techteacher »

Offline RansomT

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
The same thing in Kentucky.  It's not only the parents, but the schools that are driven from the top down (government to the classroom).   Every child is expected to go to college and all schools' worth are decided by a state test based on such. If you are a teacher that believes that not all kids should go to college and that there are great career choices outside of a college degree, you are a short timer.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »
I think (and this is my own opinion for what little it's worth) that most of us can agree that there is too much Government and too little common sense in education today.  :dhorse:

Bill

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:31 AM »
Tim I think your best option is to do something with the car you already have.  It's already completely gutted and ready to be turned into a race car.  Sounds like a great project and good starting point to me.  I'm sure there's still plenty to learn by having your students build a race car whether it actually gets raced or not.  Perhaps a dirt/salt car just isn't meant to be.  How is it that there seem to be numerous schools that build and run quarter mile cars without any problems?  Maybe the powers that be might be a little less concerned with a mild drag car vs a 200 mph dry lakes car.

I know you're hot for building and racing a dry lakes car… maybe this should just be a personal project of your own.  Perhaps a lower risk project like what you did with the Maverick might be more doable for the school and your students. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline techteacher

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »
I think you`re right Nathan. It is a good car and we have time on our side. I appreciate the interest and advice everyone has given us. I just want the students to be involved in a project like this and have the same passion for the sport as you all have.