Author Topic: High School in a bind - need help  (Read 8521 times)

Offline techteacher

High School in a bind - need help
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »
Hi Guys, as you well know Laguna Hills HS has been desperately trying to put together a LSR car to go along with our Hagerty Education Program F100 build. The Lawyers (ugh) have continually shut us down. So my thought is this - if someone is feeling really generous (tax right off determined by owner) were to donate or I could outright buy an old school, non used and not legal car. I'll supply the trailer. We will be showing the rig at local car shows.The can't run but could be put into a static look. Looking for about anything, Maybe trade for a really good 1966 BSA 650 twin street legal Hornet w/east coast up pipes. Nice bike! It will do a ton + Help!!!!

Thanks, Tim 

Offline techteacher

High Shcool in a bind
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »
As some of you know Laguna Hills HS has been trying to get a lsr car on the salt/El Mirage for some time. Lawyers say no (of course) I want to show the history of the sport and have a 1966 Ford 100 build that's almost done. I looking for a nostalgia car that can't run anymore but our students could make run and look the part. We have to trailer it to various events to show how these looked in the past - `66 F100 towing an old Bonneville car, how cool is that.I think it would draw a lot of attention. The car can be donated with a tax right off or I have a couple trades in mind - 1966 BSA street legal 650 Hornet and another car. HELP!!! Call or text 714-227-8087

Thanks,
Tim   

Offline Peter Jack

Re: High Shcool in a bind
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »
Why post twice???

Pete

Offline techteacher

Re: High Shcool in a bind
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
Read WTB section

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: High School in a bind - need help
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 02:29:25 PM »
Howdy, Tim.  I think that PJ (in Canada) has a valid point -- about posting in two locations, so what I'm going to do is merge the two topics into one -- and put the result here on the Bonneville general chat topic.  You'll get at least as many eyeballs seeing it, and it is pretty much appropriate for the thread.  I know -- the other one was "Items Wanted" -- but more of us look at the Bville general chat than at the items wanted.

Thanks for posting this, and best wishes in finding your car and some help from us.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline techteacher

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »
Thanks Slim

Offline techteacher

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
I've been given this a lot thought today and have a couple of things that I would like you guys give me some feedback on. 1st is I'm open to the car I discussed before. With the the Hagerty Education program behind me (I have a conference call Next Sat. with director) This being said I have and idea. Why not promote the program with the truck and rig at El Mirage and Bonneville. and other venues. Here is the catch. If I become an employee of HEP  I can obviously drive it, all the while promoting the program. I have a couple toys I'd be willing to part with if we could find a car that would be able to run. Don't know what class but these are things we could work out. I'm trying to be join forces with HEP and all you guys would be a tremendous help! It is a fantastic program and we need to keep this sport, restorations, hot rods, fabrication, etc,etc and pass it down to the kids who want to continue with our passions. Sorry for the long read but we're not getting any younger!! 

Thanks guys, any suggestions will be discussed during my call with HEP

Tim   

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
Do you want to build one or have a static display!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
Since the students are building the car is there a way that a legal age student could drive it instead of you. Maybe sell him the car for a dollar? Something like that? Just grasping at straws here but it seems a shame to have someone other than a student drive it. If the car can pass the close scrutiny of tech and deemed safe that there should be a way I hope. Is there such a thing as a one time insurance policy that can be had? Like I said I just hope it gets to run when completed. I see no point in building a display car... If you establish a place to send donations AFTER you have a completed and published plan I would be willing to send a small check.

Offline techteacher

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:07:34 AM »
Well Sparky, initially if it was to go through the school we can't run it - liability. If we can work with the Hagerty Education program and they own it we should be able to run it. This is new idea that has to be worked out. I want to run it but it depends on a number of factors. I will be speaking with HEP next  Saturday so we may know more by then. If we can't run a car, a promotional display with our truck, trailer and a static car would be the answer. I know it sounds complicated  - welcome to the school system 

Offline techteacher

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
Just to clarify a tax write off - you can write the donation off your taxable income, not your taxes. The same as any donation to a non-profit organization   

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »
The reason I asked the real experience to me would be the research and actual fabrication would be the most benefit to the kids. 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »
Some schools have a closed mind about this sort of stuff and use the lawyers as the excuse. In our neck of the woods, our EAA chapter (experimental aircraft association) put together an educational project with the near by Emerald Ridge High School to build a Vans RV-12 experimental aircraft. It is about 80% along and has about 30 students along with a couple teachers working with the EAA guys. The students get grade credits and other incentives to be a part of the project. When it is all done, it will be flown by a local EAA chapter member but still belongs to the school.
Ed

Offline techteacher

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »
Spoke w/Sparky, great guy and very willing to help and Mike Cook ( wow, saw his grandfather run at Fomoso many times) threw around a few ideas. I think if we were to put something together away from my shop I see no reason this could work. Details, details. I want to thank everyone for their input, you've been a great help. BTW, open invitation speak in my class anytime, just give me a little time to arrange it. Oh yeah, possible truck and maybe a monza in the works.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:22:22 PM by techteacher »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
Seems to me you could ask a few of the students driving the Beemer's, MB's and Audi's to pony up...After all it's Laguna Hills HS..Just sayn'
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro