Author Topic: 2015 Speed Week Entry Fees  (Read 22256 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: 2015 Speed Week Entry Fees
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
"Anyone tried contacting JoAnn Carlson . . ."

Don't -- she's waiting, just like the rest of us, 'til the final decisions are made.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »

Not only that, now they are going to charge all our family members $5 to be on our crew.

Come on now, are you really complaining about $5 for the cost of a crew pass?   For a week?

That just barely defrays the clerical costs, (Wristbands and forms) and doesn't begin to cover any extra insurance cost for the sanctioning organization.

Let me give you some perspective:

SCCA charges $20 for a crew pass for most of the 3 day events like the "June Sprints" @ Road America.   If you are there for the Thursday practice, guess what, you pay an extra $5 or $10 depending on the event.

And I don't even want to get started about SCCA's entry fees . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:41 PM »
Perris Auto Speedway.. One Saturday night: car and driver $45 (member price) each pit crew member $50
(That's $195 for us)

What you get:
 10 or so laps for wheel packing
 5 hot laps
 8 lap preliminary race
 20 lap main event (20 minute max time)

Bonneville ain't so bad........JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »

Not only that, now they are going to charge all our family members $5 to be on our crew.

What I had here was cruel - I took it down.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:29:59 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
All you guys not happy with BNI entry and driver/crew fees go to the other track to compete.

Oh wait

There isn't one.....

I have spent well over 100K on my  not finished new car and will NEVER complain on the entry fees.  Many of you are in the same boat.

Now, the diesel fuel bill to get from Michigan to the salt, that's another story.
Rick

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 01:33:57 PM »
My good friend JD Tone says, "if you don't show up I can move forward in line." Or something to that effect. You get the point.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »
It was $80 alone for a four day crew pass at the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona. Im not gonna complain about what a spectator/crew member cost is at Bonneville by any means  :-D

Offline debgeo

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »
People like this will complain about something so insignificant while drinking 6 beers. I was in parking lot at Wendover last year where a fellow was looking at different cars. He was from down under and had saved several years to bring his family to Bonneville. So your complaints are falling on deaf ears. This is a family  I felt bad for.   p.s. My friend races RC cars. Car entry $10.00 per car and $5.00 per spectator.  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:32 PM »
  Mr. Toclub;   Where are all these Spectators you say pay a SMALL FORTUNE ?  Evidentally you have not tried to go racing any where else in about 40 years.  How much do you think it costs to enter Daytona for a WEEK of racing, or 7 days entry to go National Event Drag Racing. Try to even get a pass to get on the start line at any other National race, But at Bonneville you can get one for $5.00 for a WEEK ,(that Doesn't even pay for the INSURANCE costs). 

Being how you are so close, Maybe you should come to a board meeting and learn just how much it costs to run Bonneville. Even with all the VOLUNTEERS (NO PAY) that put the meet on to keep it as LOW COST as possible.       

Volunteers are paid. Also included -motel rooms and Red Flame meal tickets.

What board meeting did you hear this?

JL222

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
Just To Be Clear....

The people who sit on one of 4 courses as patrol stewards all day long, or hand out time slips, tech vehicles, clear the salt at night, sell souvenirs, or pick up & put down miles of wire & cones DO receive a Per Diem of $30.00 a day (might be $25 now due to expenses). They also receive meal tickets good for breakfast or lunch at the Red Flame. IF they get a room (not everyone does) they must share it with another worker. There are a very few who get more $$$ and I'll bet if you had to do what they do you wouldn't. If you would, step right up, the SCTA is always looking for helpers. 

That's how I remember it at the board meetings I went to. Haven't seen you at any board meeting in the last few years John, say Hi next time.......
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline debgeo

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
After subtracting their cost to get there and back home that calculates to about .3192876 cents per hour.  :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
Further on the "pay" for volunteers:  The SCTA/BNI is getting pretty careful about those costs.  For the biggest example, not only do we have to sign daily pay sheets and have them approved by our supervisor -- but there's enforcement of the "must work at least four days to get a room reimbursement".  Nancy works every day in the sales trailer -- so she's good (great, if you ask me :evil:).  But how long does it take to put out 75 toilets?  Well, about two days, although I do spend lots of time during a meet chasing 'em down, helping to solve problems, moving them when we change courses, and so on.  And then there's getting the bid spec written and circulated - around Thanksgiving, and getting prices back from the vendors that choose to bid, and preparing the information so it can go to a board meeting to get approved/denied, and even putting together a little report on the whole thing soon after WF.

But just in case -- you might see me being a staging lane steward on courses #3 and 4 this year, and maybe doing some radio announcing, and - whatever else needs doing.  It's all fun -- but it ain't all sitting on our butts and collecting the fantastic paychecks.

Oh, yeah -- we get free lunches from Smith's during set up days -- before there's a food vendor.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »
Perhaps competitive bidding to hire a crew to drag four tracks and return roads, set up cones, coordinate vendors and operate the event to BNI's specs would lower costs.

Sorry, I started laughing so hard right there that I snarfed up a snot ball onto my laptop . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »
I got to share a room one night last year and didn't even work!  I ripped them off!  Had to drive 1300 miles to get it, but I sure didn't pay for it.  Came with a free sorta breakfast, too!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
I know of at least two course workers that camp at the bend (I'm sure there are many more) and they work every day we run.

Lets hope that the Dept. of Labor never finds out about the working conditions on the salt.  :-o

The bottom line is, I don't think anybody's getting rich off of volunteering and all things considered you get a pretty big bang for your buck as a competitor.

Many Thanks to the people that make it happen.  :cheers: