Author Topic: Motorcycle rule definitions  (Read 2519 times)

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
Motorcycle rule definitions
« on: August 20, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »
Can someone please define, with no room for interpretation, what is considered to be "behind the rider" as stated in the M-F rule book.  Is "behind the rider" a 3 plane section view ( calf /thigh/torso)  from the side? Can the front of the tail section be notched out so the riders butt slides rearward into a crevis. There have been several posts here that I have read with how people are interpreting this rule . I dont want to build a tail and find out I misread the rules or pushed the limit too far.

I plan on running in both P-P and M-F. In the P-P class can I run aftermarket handlebars ( clip on's) ? Please define what the stock "shape " means. The bars I want to use are adjustable units that can be put into any"shape". Can I run aftermarket rear lowering links ( I am aware of the OEM minimum ride height rule). I am trying to save time with the class swap and not have to completely reconfigure the motorcycle

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:00:09 AM »
If you read 7.E.1.1 and 7.E.1.7 you will find out exactly what you can do in regards to handlebars and seat in production.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:29:21 AM »
I have read the rule book, and looked at pictures of motorcycles in the same class, the streamlining to the rear of the rider varies a lot, as the rule stated you must be able to see the rider completely from the sides and above. Every picture I looked at had some portion of the rider not clearly visible from the sides, The back of the calf , and heel are the most common.

The question about the handlebars were confusing because on this particular motorcycle the "mount" which cannot be moved, is the bar itself. The clip on ( mount) and bar are 1 piece. I assume the rule means that and bar can be used if is utilizes the stock mount, in my application I have to change the mount to get the "shaoe" I want.

Likewise there are no provisions to lower the stock motorcycle (except reducing preload which alteres the suspension set up) So the question is can I run lowering links to get the bike down to the manufactirers minimum ride height and be legal in P-P.

I might be too critical in how I am reading the book but I really dont want have any problems in tech.
Thanks

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 11:31:09 AM »
Adjustable lowering links are not permitted in Production as they don't meet the "stock external appearance rule".