Author Topic: Able Dog Belly Tank  (Read 35722 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Able Dog Belly Tank
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »
Chris, you expressed that so very well.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks!

Pete

Offline Pickle

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
Well I got back to it over the last two weeks. First order was cleaning the garage, so much piled up stuff. After that I surveyed where I was at. I did get some things done since my last update about the intake. Its welded up and fits perfectly. I purchased the water to air intercooler, radiator, oil cooler, waste gates, intercooler piping, blow off valve, and made 304 flanges for the exhaust. Ill run down the parts list later if anyone is interested.

Today I started work on the turbo manifold. Im using 2 inch 304 sch. 40 pipe and bends. Its a real pain in the a** to work with. I probably could have got by with mild steel but with the high exhaust temps the rotary puts out I figured 304 was cheap insurance. Im about half done with the manifold and should be ready to final weld next weekend.

I also purchased some aluminum sheet to box in the radiator and oil cooler. Before I take the manifold to my welder ill probably try to get those done as well.

Things are certainly getting tight back there. I have been planing out some tank locations and needless to say they will end up with complicated shapes to wrap around things. On the planning side of things one area I have not spent much time on is the section aft of the rear end. I really wanted to run the exhaust back to the center rear of the body and use a hatch like SOS for the chute but I'm not sure if I can make that work, its tight. Anyone have the necessary box volume for the chute if using a hatch? And is the pilot spring loaded? Im not sure I have a good plan for all of that just yet. Advice would be spectacular.

Anyway I am traveling for work for a few day so ill try to get some pictures up in the next couple weeks.

Cheers  :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
Yeah we just have a spring drogue,. Works fine, the chute probably needs around 250x250x200mm if you're using a flap or doors you can make those dimensions flatter and wider.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
Well I got back to it over the last two weeks. First order was cleaning the garage, so much piled up stuff. After that I surveyed where I was at. I did get some things done since my last update about the intake. Its welded up and fits perfectly. I purchased the water to air intercooler, radiator, oil cooler, waste gates, intercooler piping, blow off valve, and made 304 flanges for the exhaust. Ill run down the parts list later if anyone is interested.

Today I started work on the turbo manifold. Im using 2 inch 304 sch. 40 pipe and bends. Its a real pain in the a** to work with. I probably could have got by with mild steel but with the high exhaust temps the rotary puts out I figured 304 was cheap insurance. Im about half done with the manifold and should be ready to final weld next weekend.

I also purchased some aluminum sheet to box in the radiator and oil cooler. Before I take the manifold to my welder ill probably try to get those done as well.

Things are certainly getting tight back there. I have been planing out some tank locations and needless to say they will end up with complicated shapes to wrap around things. On the planning side of things one area I have not spent much time on is the section aft of the rear end. I really wanted to run the exhaust back to the center rear of the body and use a hatch like SOS for the chute but I'm not sure if I can make that work, its tight. Anyone have the necessary box volume for the chute if using a hatch? And is the pilot spring loaded? Im not sure I have a good plan for all of that just yet. Advice would be spectacular.

Anyway I am traveling for work for a few day so ill try to get some pictures up in the next couple weeks.

Cheers  :cheers:

Why is the Stainless Steel a PITA?. I think it's great, nicer to weld than mild steel IMO. :cheers:

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
Time for an update.

I finally have a roller!! its so good to get that thing on the ground. Its amazing how different it looks low, I got used to seeing it up on the table. I also got the engine and trans in.

In regard to the front suspension I rebuilt the whole thing and set the axle under a mount so I can adjust left and right weights. Now the fun stuff starts time for the bits in the back. Here are some pictures for ya.

James

It appears that you are using the Speedway steering arms made from flat steel.  I also used them and experienced some "shimmy".  It turned out that the flat arms were twisting where rod ends attached.  You can check for this by holding one tire steady and having someone try to "steer" the other tire.  If you see deflection you may need to make new arms or stiffen the flat steel ones.  I put my rod ends in double shear and then boxed them with 11ga to stiffen them up.  Andrew Welker started with the same arms on his tanker, abandoned them and fabricated some new arms that are spectacular like all of his work. 

Great project, keep the photos coming.  The guys on this forum can spot potential issues and give you great feedback. 

One last piece of advice.  Get all your personal safety equipment, fire suite, helmet, Hans device, gloves, shoes, etcetera and put it on when designing your cockpit.  Before you can race you have to pass a "bail out" test.  If you can't get out of your car quick enough you can't race.  The difference in the ergonomics of exiting the car with and without a fire suite, helmet, Hans device and gloves can be quite substantial.  This is the voice of experience speaking.  I got this advice on this forum and didn't take it seriously.  When I was going through my initial tech my only issue was the bail out test.  The bail out was easy without all the safety equipment on, not so much with the safety equipment on.  It is easier to do it right the first time than trying to modify things in a hurry to pass tech. 

Mike Brown

Offline Pickle

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Hi all,

Im still at it, chipping away at the list. I have finished the turbo manifold, intake manifold, rad in a tank, and more. I am really close to having the bits in the middle finished up (until I have realized what I missed). I should have a real update in a couple weeks.

I lucked out as well. Work is sending me to Utah for the small sat conference in Logan the week prior to speed week and I am going to stay  a few extra days and make the drive to the salt. Cant beat a free trip to speed week!!! I would love to meet up with those of you who will be there, hang out, help wrench, or whatever. Anyway, I will be there friday night through sunday so send me an email and get me some contact info. I would be nice to put a face to those who so kindly pick apart my work :wink:

James