Author Topic: Able Dog Belly Tank  (Read 35730 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Able Dog Belly Tank
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »
and here is to GRAVY!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

goes well with coffee early in the morning while visiting with his honor " the MAYOR"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
I'm hard of hearing because of those Rotary motors. Laugh, I don't care, I can't hear you!!!
I'm no expert but 13Bs are suspect IMO.
Eccentric shaft is iffy but maybe Subaru has changed recently. :wink:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »
The rotary is a 13b rew from a 97 RX7 from japan. We are plan on running a big single turbo so the output will be around 600 or so. we will see how it goes with what we got. I have built a few rotaries in the past, all in street trim, but they made upwards of 500 at the wheels. With this one ill pull out all the stops so who knows.

Rex, it will most likely use the side ports in the irons. Peripheral ports (PP) work great with an NA set up but with forced induction PP has too much overlap and you loose too much of the intake charge. With a turbo you really only need to do a large street port or a bridge port. Today an NA PP will make 350 or so with injection, where the sky is the limit with forced induction.

Goggles, i get that. I feel like the SOS has inspired a lot of my build. Its such a beautiful car. Like you I feel that design and function can coexist in our builds. I love the way my car looks. If it runs half as good as it looks we have a winner. Honestly a lot of people have been asking, what do you think it will do? I reply with, If it gets down the track I will have a smile on my face. I started this build with only the desire to run at the salt. If I get to do that, it will be worth it. Anything beyond that is gravy.

cheers

James

600+hp?

I'll give you a rough idea of what it'll do, it'll keep you really busy and it'll teach you the idea of restraint until you get it into 3rd or 4th gear, that's what it'll do. At that point I reckon it'll be eating up track at around the rate of about a mile every 15 seconds, or less, that's what it'll do. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Pickle

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2016, 01:15:23 AM »
So I made to out to El Mirage in June and met quite a few of you in person. Its nice to finally put a face to those I have come to know here on the forums. Most of you I met were aware of this build diary and all of you had the same comment, "post more, and with more detail". I'm a man of few words and I guess I just wait for a large chunk of progress before I post something. So in the spirit of posting more often I will fill you guys in on what has been happening.

When I started this project there were three of us working on the tank. We all bounced ideas off each other and the project was better for it. That was over a year ago and soon after we started one dropped out and it was two. About a month ago my other friend dropped out and now its just me. Im not sure how common this is, but recently I have been looking at the tank thinking "What the F*** am I doing?". Did I bite off too much? Will it ever get done? Self doubt is a bitch. Fortunately I am blessed with the most supporting wife and family. After a long discussion with my wife I am resolved to finish what I have started. I know this is a bit of a personal rambling but I'm sure others have been there. With that said, here is "the plan".

I am pleased to say I have been talking with a guy named Howard Colman. He owns Colman Precision Rotary, and has had three decades of racing experience with rotary motors, and really knows his stuff. He is officially my first sponsor and will be providing the long block for the car. After many lengthly discussions the overall design has been decided. To make 600hp at the wheels I will need around 80 lbs/min of air flow at 30 psi. I have purchased the turbo, it is a Borge Warner S300 SXE 69mm inducer, the largest highest flowing T4 they make. It will flow the required 80 lbs/min at 74% efficiency, with a maximum flow of 105 lbs/min. I will also be using a four barrel throttle body made by E&J, it will provide two 50mm throttle bodies per rotor. It should flow well beyond the 80 lbs/min, closer to the max of 105 lbs/min. The intake manifold has been an issue for me. I have tried 7 different manifolds and they all either hit the roll cage or stick out of the body. As a result I will be making my own manifold. This is new territory for me. I am starting this tomorrow and I will post progress pictures as it comes together. Before some of you ask I have sized the system and analyzed the flow in 2D as a Fanno flow and Rayleigh flow and it is not choked. I had a friend cut the flanges for the intake on a water jet out of 1/2 inch aluminum. I will be using 2 inch OD 11 gauge aluminum tube. I ordered 180 degree bends and a few straight sections. The area of the ports at the block are just slightly smaller than the inside tube area and oval shaped so some forming will be required.

I would like to say... As I sit here drinking some tequila, thinking of my experiences at El Mirage over the last few years, This type of racing is special. Every person I have met has offered their help and advice on my project without judgement. The people associated with this type of racing are different. In other racing series it was competition, here its cooperation. I would like to thank those of you who have been so kind. I am proud to be a land speed racer.

Cheers,

James

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 02:38:17 AM »
quote: "... providing the longblock for the car..."

For a reciprocating-piston engine a "longblock" typically refers to a shortblock (block, crank, pistons, rods, etc.) plus the head(s). What does a Wankel "longblock" consist of? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »
That's known as a Wanker. :evil:

For those less knowlegable than others, this might help. :?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanker
  Sid.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:15:20 AM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline Pickle

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
Thank you Jack! I opted to use the term "long block" instead of the more common rotary term of keg. I didn't want to confuse anyone who was unfamiliar with the term. It refers to the complete rotating assembly installed in the housings ect. On a rotary this would include the irons, housings, rotors, front cover, flywheel and associated bits. This is the equivalent to a reciprocating engines long block.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 02:20:18 AM »
Thanks for the lexicon of rotary engine terms. That's an engine type I've not touched. Back when I first learned of it in the sixties, I remember trying unsuccessfully to work out the geometry for other than 3-lobe rotor designs- I gave up!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Pickle

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
Well the intake is coming along nicely. I have roughed it all out and its ready to weld up following some minor tweaking. One issue right off the bat was the runners enter the irons at angles. To compound the problem the top and bottom of the runners in the irons are at different angles. I drew up a quick sketch of the primary and secondary ports in the irons and attached it below.

Additionally the primary and secondary ports are different sizes. The primary port area is 75% of the tube area where the secondary ports are 98%. The stock motors have progressive opening throttle bodies that run only the primary ports up to a certain percentage throttle then open the secondaries past that. I formed both sets of tubes to match the area and angles, this was a lot of work massaging the tubes first into an oval shape then hammer forming to match the top and bottom angles.

Ill be taking it to my welder this weekend as I can't weld aluminum at home.

cheers
james

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 09:01:25 PM »
James,

That's a great fixture you made to build your intake. Does not look like anything will move around when the welder tacks it up.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2017, 02:50:38 PM »
Any more news James?

Hard road but a good road building a tank.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »

When I started this project there were three of us working on the tank. We all bounced ideas off each other and the project was better for it. That was over a year ago and soon after we started one dropped out and it was two. About a month ago my other friend dropped out and now its just me. Im not sure how common this is, but recently I have been looking at the tank thinking "What the F*** am I doing?". Did I bite off too much? Will it ever get done? Self doubt is a bitch. Fortunately I am blessed with the most supporting wife and family. After a long discussion with my wife I am resolved to finish what I have started. I know this is a bit of a personal rambling but I'm sure others have been there. With that said, here is "the plan".

I would like to say... As I sit here drinking some tequila, thinking of my experiences at El Mirage over the last few years, This type of racing is special. Every person I have met has offered their help and advice on my project without judgement. The people associated with this type of racing are different. In other racing series it was competition, here its cooperation. I would like to thank those of you who have been so kind. I am proud to be a land speed racer.

Cheers,

James

When you're out on that big white lake, the canopy has just closed, and you feel your push car giving you a shove.
Then it will all make sense
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Pickle

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
dang it has been a while...

Well last year was tough and not much has happened since. First the Tax Man came and rained on my parade eating most of my expendable cash. Then my work situation took a nose dive and stretched the family thin. But earlier this year I started a new job (a better job) and finally I think it is safe to spend money and time on this project.

Work is officially recommencing and updates will be inbound shortly!!!

:cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2017, 04:54:46 AM »
Great to hear. Go for it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
A key to moving this project forward -

It helps to have other people invested in this.  While you have lost two partners, there are dozens of us out here closely watching this project - those who understand the difficulties, the joys, the headaches.

If you discipline yourself to keep those of us who are interested abreast of what you are getting done, be it complaining about waiting for parts, something you goofed up, something that went well, we will become your virtual team.

And when you reach that point when you think you're never going to get it done, you will have posted here everything that you HAVE accomplished, the notes, encouragement and critiques of those who care, and you will find that the review process will pick you up and motivate you to press forward.

I have seen way too many started projects that never turn a wheel. 

In the last 10 years, I have taken on two such projects.  I've put one on the unsuspecting streets of Milwaukee, and the other in the SCTA-BNI record book. 

I'm two for two, and had it not been for my build diary, I'd probably still have more parts in the rafters than on the ground.

If you help yourself, we'll help you help yourself.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: