Author Topic: Slot Cars.  (Read 5756 times)

Offline tauruck

Slot Cars.
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:15 AM »
I spent my early years 10-12 trying to turn my slot cars into Sprint Cars. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now you can just buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I wish I'd kept my track. :x

How awesome are these cars?.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Slot Cars.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
Nice solder work on the cage and bump bars.

I worked in a hobby shop when I was in my teens - lots of Aurora and Tyco HO stuff - never got into the larger slots, but I picked up a MGB 1/32 scale model I've been intending to bash-kit into a slot.

You get to Milwaukee, bring that with you - we'll run down to Lucky Bob's -

http://www.lucky-bobs-slot-cars.com/raceway-pictures.html

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »
I'm at work and the photos are at home so I can't show you his work, but some time - ask Ron Christensen, the AM1610 announcer at the salt, to show you some of the model building he's done.  I'm quite blown away with the work.  Let's see -- a model airplane, complete with pilot and gauges and rivets and so on -- from absolute scratch, for a nephew.  A brass car, detailed to the umpteenth, from stock only.  I don't know if he's built powered stuff - but his work is amazing (to me, at least, but then -- I can't draw a conclusion much less much of anything else). :roll:

He does build models of stuff for a living, of course, so should be good.  I'll ask him if he'll show us some of his stuff.  I dunno if he's built slot cars, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MRK

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:49:13 AM »
Good stuff! The local slot car track was my babysitter when I was a kid. Moms would drop me off with 3 bucks in my hand and leave me for the day. I had the coolest 1/24 scale model of a Chaparral. When you'd hit the controller, a rod connected to the motor would pull the wing down for more "downforce" and when you let off, it would return to a flatter position. I have a grandson now and soon he'll be old enough to pull the trigger just like Pop did! Group 24's rule!  :-D
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »
Good stuff! The local slot car track was my babysitter when I was a kid. Moms would drop me off with 3 bucks in my hand and leave me for the day. I had the coolest 1/24 scale model of a Chaparral. When you'd hit the controller, a rod connected to the motor would pull the wing down for more "downforce" and when you let off, it would return to a flatter position. I have a grandson now and soon he'll be old enough to pull the trigger just like Pop did! Group 24's rule!  :-D

I remember the 2E slot cars - they was the COOLEST - was it Cox who made them?

Hall was a great innovator.  Anybody who can get a car banned due to original thinking is ace in my book.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »
Yes, Cox...i had one as well. If you guys have a few hours to spare..Check out The North American Model Engineering Society web site. Incredibley talented people.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
I got my first set when I was 10. It was English made called Scalectrix.
The cars were 60s style F1 cars.
I eventually found Monogram, Cox, Aurora and Mitsubishi at Redleys Hobby shop.
I had a collection of note even a Cucaracha???.
My dad passed when I was 12 and uncles and aunts were buying me cars I
suppose to get my mind off the bad stuff.
I got a 1/24 scale Chaparral and couldn't use it on my 1/32 track so I cannibalized
the chassis and fitted a VW Bug body on it. It was the only thing that would fit over
that big motor.
There was this 8 lane track in another part of town that everyone was talking about
so I convinced my uncle Tony to take me.
There were "men" there with  custom wooden boxes for cars and pit crews. :-D :-D :-D

The Bug was lime green with shocking pink high density foam tires (American).
After we "Bugged" them they asked us to leave.  :evil:

Chris, thanks man. Those tracks are awesome.
When I come into some real money I want to buy some sprint cars. :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:07:33 PM by tauruck »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:49 PM »
Just look at these.

I'm blown away.

Sidewinder TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :cheers:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
Have they figured out how to make them switch slots so you can do a slide job?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 12:04:34 AM »
Wow ! , this thread got the memories all stirred up,,,,50 or so years back, just as my Testosterone was kickin' in, I'd already owned a few motorcicles,,and had a love of Monogram 24th scale  model kits, a local slot car track opened up, I just HAD to get into it, and as I had Sat morning job which payed $3 a week !, I was cashed up, so bought a brass tube sidewinder chassis, and an under rated 26D engine, the fave engine of the day was a 36D, very grunty, but low revvin', I figured if I geared the car lower, the smaller engine would work, so I used 4/1, slapped a '64 Galaxy body on, and went racing.
The shop had a "dyno" , my car went 67 Ft per second on it,,big "Boppa" had a rich mans car, did 70 FPS, but on the track, I whooped his azz, Boppa's just spun up and vibrated the tires, the Galaxy pulled huge wheelies down the main straight, the rear bumper on the braids, button off, jab the controller, the azz would hang out, kissing the wall around the "big" banked corner.
I was unbeaten for a few weeks in the weekly comp, until one day, the constant wheelies had taken their toll on the rear bumper thickness, and as I went under the overpass, the nose clipped the underside of the track,,,the car was instantly turned into twisted brass tubing, and pieces of plastic, which rocketed off the banked corner, hitting the front plate glass window with enough force to smash the glass.
Great fun for me, but I wasn't welcome after that (wonder why?) ,, the owner went broke, the track was never seen again after a while, but the memories are still with me.
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 04:44:54 AM »
And I thought I had a problem with nostalgia :-D :-D :-D.

Cool story. Thanks man.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 06:18:13 AM »
And here I thought I was the only slot car maniac . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
I am also a Slot Car tragic  :mrgreen: .... Tiny I also had a 26D powered car ... it was a Dynamic Sidewinder with a Lola T70? Body ... raced against lots of the 36D powered Cox brand cars .... then it all closed down

In the late 80s early 90s it started again here in Oz had another play ... 16D based Super Wasp engines in Parma Flexi and Brass Car chassis's with a BMW M3 body on the Flexi and Porsche 962C on the Brass Car ....

The Club ran numerous Endurance Races including a 24 Hour Le Mans race ... yes a full 24 Hours including three x one hour stints in the Dark with Head and Tail lights ...  :lol:

I wish I had kept them  :cry:

Pete  :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline salt27

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »
Good stuff! The local slot car track was my babysitter when I was a kid. Moms would drop me off with 3 bucks in my hand and leave me for the day. I had the coolest 1/24 scale model of a Chaparral. When you'd hit the controller, a rod connected to the motor would pull the wing down for more "downforce" and when you let off, it would return to a flatter position. I have a grandson now and soon he'll be old enough to pull the trigger just like Pop did! Group 24's rule!  :-D

Hey I had one of those too. In hindsight I would have opted for the Cheetah.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:17:56 PM by salt27 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 09:15:02 AM »
A few years before he died, my dad gathered up all the HO slot car stuff (including the track I built) from our youth and passed it off to me.   Guess I need to get it all functional . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein