Author Topic: Battery Kill Switch Question  (Read 17953 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Battery Kill Switch Question
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
 After a lot of thought and research I think I have a solution on how to turn off the secondary power from the remote battery in the front of the car. The main battery being located in the rear of the car is connected to the battery kill switch. Using a relay I found at Radio Shack and also under the hoods of most new cars I can wire the secondary feed wires through the high amp contacts in the relay.
   Connecting the pickup coil wires from this new relay to the feed buss from the primary battery will now energize the relay. This will allow the high amp contacts in the relay to close the circuit so the secondary battery can feed the data or any other circuit. Shut off the primary battery kill swich and the voltage feeding the secondary relay pickup coil will die. Now the high amp contacts are open removing power the secondary battery was feeding. This type of relay can be found in 25/40 /70 Amp and higher ratings. Problem solved.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:37:02 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »
What does SCTA=BNI say. They have to approve it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »
What does SCTA=BNI say. They have to approve it.

Today  I talked to the SCTA Tech Advisor Jeff Arnett he approved this method of shutting down the forward battery power.
 As long as the relay is open when power is removed its good.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
Ron....It is always a good idea to have some written evidence of your conversation in your Inspection/Entry/Build folder. You would be surprised how many times we have been yelled at when Inspecting a Car and we have found something lacking, or even downright unsafe. The screaming usually starts off `Well I talked to so-and-so and He said it was good to go....`Even when this is indeed correct, it is usually very hard to locate `so-and-so` when the car concerned is in the middle of Inspection....

I`m sure Jeff would be happy to send you an Email that you could keep with your stuff, along with a few photos if the parts are hard to get to or see, and some specs on the pieces used.

Anything that will help you have a seamless trip through our little area will make your week better...

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »
Kiwi Paul Thanks
   I will send Jeff an Email so I have wriitten evidence about the approval I will add it to my paper work for proof if there's any doubt during inspection.
  Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:13:27 PM by ronnieroadster »