Author Topic: Up date on the "Bonneville Club" in Wendover utah!  (Read 11029 times)

Offline crawford

Up date on the "Bonneville Club" in Wendover utah!
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »
So 2015 is on us and here is a quick update on the new development called "The Bonneville Club". As of todays date they have completed two surveys of the site, one being the soil samples and have started the process of site development. Also they are doing the finishing touches on the design for the garge unites and the center piece of the project the club house. The city has sub divided the property and are in the process of completing the deed transfer. So things are progressing very quickly now, they plan on constuction very very soon!  The city of Wendover is very excited to have this type of development come to our area, racing and bonneville are important parts of our history. Also this will put the musuem project in second gear and things will start to happen there.
If you have any questions please e-mail me at crawfordmr@yahoo.com
Mike Crawford, city of Wendover mayor.
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline entropy

Re: Up date on the "Bonneville Club" in Wendover utah!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:42:39 AM »
WHOA!!!!!!
The mayor of Wendover, UT is a speed nut AND a member of this forum??? :cheers:
WHOA!!!!!
This is news to me.
COOL!!!!!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
 :-o :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
Mike is a "speed nut"?  Well, I dunno about that -- stop in at his store (Carquest) and look at his cars in the back room.  He seems to prefer Corvettes.  He is not a salt racer -- but has been seen out there a number of times. :roll:

He's been one of the driving forces behind the new museum, too - and has worked to get the site opened as a campground area during race events.  Thanks, Mike. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
I appreciate all Mike does for the racing community. I try to always do business at the CARQUEST Auto Supply to support him as well.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 11:34:26 AM »
  His Carquest always seems to be one of my stops during my stays in Wendover. I always try to buy something from his store, and the Hardware store on the other end of town, and the grocery store near there. I like to do business with the locals. The local food ain't bad either. If you average out the motel rates for three stays a year they are likely better than most any other place. [Albeit some could use a little money reinvested]. Some could maybe hire a local contracter to do some wallpapering and perfataping and paint work.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Yup -- Mike Crawford does his part in helping the racers and crowds.  He opens his store really early - like 6AM, I think - during LSR events.  Stand in his store for a while and you'll see a who's-who of LSR folks, that's for sure.

Since he got elected as mayor of Wendover he's been a little more visible on the salt itself.  He's a Corvette nut/guy and does not drive one of those cars out on the salt, but he manages to make it out there somehow.  The parking lot of the new museum is open to racers and others for free camping during events -- and maybe all year long.  I never thought to ask that.  One thing he offers that saves the BNI/SCTA a few bucks -- is have the Honey Bucket trucks dump their full tanks into the sewer at the parking lot.  If they had to go to the municipal waste treatment facility (I don't know if they used to used W. Wendover or the Utah one) there's a fee involved (again, I think there's a fee).

And Mike was the driving force behind the party/picnic the city put on for the race volunteers on Thursday evening of SpeedWeek and whenever for World of Speed.  I don't know if that picnic will survive this past year's foofaraw - but we can hope it will.  Good food and lots of fun.  Thanks, Mike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
Mike and his sister (Kerrie?) also donate and volunteer at Salt Talks.   :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
You can also have parts etc. sent to his store by UPS & Fed-x during the event, he works with the racers all season. Support him. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »
Glad to hear its coming together  :cheers:

Mike also loves his truck, and will give you a ride to Carmens if you need one.

Patronize Wendover businesses, we need them!
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:25 PM »
I'll take a chance that I might insult West Wendover businesses, but to second what Cereal says -- do your best to patronise the Wendover, UTAH businesses.  There are gas stations with prices just as low as those in W. Wendover - if not lower.  Restaurants, too, and service stations.  Lotsa motels, of course.  Last year there was a USFRA picnic that Mike arranged -- and the owner/operators of all the Wendover (Utah) lodging joints were there.  It was a nice show that they appreciated us.  Nancy and I eat a buffet once or twice when were in Wendover -- but most of the time eat in Wendover, Utah.  Etc, etc.  Nope, Smith's is the only "supermarket" in town, so that'll have to be your grocery and pop and supplies choice.  But Smith's is very aware of how much business the racers do with them - and does lots back for us all.  Does the assistant manager at your home town grocery know your name?  Lief, at Smith's, knows us by name - even the first time we show up after a ten-month hiatus.  That's great customer service.

And so on -- do your best to help dispel the "ugly racer" attitude that we think there is among the Wendoverians.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 08:31:32 PM »
I bet he knew Nancy's name way before yours!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
I bet he knew Nancy's name way before yours!

That's because she gets there before he does  :roll: :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
     Any time that we have gone to the little tire/ice cream shop the owner himself has dropped everything and gotton our tire needs handled. [Maybe he remembers that we tip well].
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »
Well, maybe you did okay there, Doug, but last time we needed tire swaps we went to said ice cream/tire place.  Swapping the first tire cost us - unh, say, $20.  It was a rear for the ZX12.  Well, the next day the front needed changing -- and this time we were short on minutes and asked him to do it soon, not sometime later today.

He said he would, but stopped then for lunch and because he had another customer whose work he finished before he stopped for lunch and then eventually got around to starting on ours -- and when done he wanted $40.  I asked why so much after the first one was twenty bucks -- and he said it was because we were in a hurry.

I guess he doesn't like the looks of stressed racers. . . :-o
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com