Author Topic: Spring event 2015  (Read 29043 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Spring event 2015
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »
Dont worry about staying over night at the air field others will be doing the same. I think the restriction is for specatators not racers.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Canadian FJR

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
Leaving Nova Scotia Shortly - wet, cold and a few flurries.  Seems like a great day for a bike ride  :-D

I hope the weather is looking better up there.

Canadian FJR

Offline Canadian FJR

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Made it back to Nova Scotia, really enjoyed the event. 

Canadian FJR

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »

To All,

We are almost home.....another 6 hrs or so to go. Lost the Z car off the top rack 20 miles from track and spent 2 hrs at border reinstalling it to the proper position on the lift.....bummer but we have some mud and paint at home....not too serious.  A mistake on our part with trying to strap it differently as one strap came off on way there...

I would like to take the time to say Thanks to all that run the show at LTA. Tim, Joe, Jesse, Steve and volunteers I don't know all the names yet......

Fantastically prepared event and run. Hats off to everyone there. The many people who helped us with getting things around town certainly was really appreciated.
I personally will be back again for sure. :cheers:
P.S.
To the guys with the supercars......It would seem that you need to learn the rules and follow them.  The need for speed is a cool thing but these guys are looking out for safety first and if there is a way to let you run faster they will......Dont screw it up for others, who knows it could be a very big class but if people run faster that they are supposed to then it wont be to hard to understand why the guys may need to stop the class.... :-D
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 12:54:23 AM »
... if people run faster that they are supposed to...
??? Can you translate that for the uninformed?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 06:30:05 AM »
I think you are referring to my comment about the "supercars".
I know I saw it last year at ECTA and now again this past weekend at LTA that some people want to come and run without the full safety gear(Mainly roll cage) in these exotic cars IE: Mercedes, Nissan GTR, Ferrari , Z06 Corvette etc.
They both (ECTA LTA) have limited their speed and made them do the normal step up runs but then the people (girls and guys) decide the last run they let it all hang out so they can bring their timing slip home and show it off to their buddies/girlfriends.

#1 I think they don;t get a slip if they break the rules (I think thats the case) but the bigger thing is that it ruins it for the next people that want to run.
I know I personally helped one of them with nitrogen out of my tank and some advice, but not so he could break the rules.
The real problem is they have the money to buy the cars but no experience of driving at high speeds and if something would go wrong the first people to get blamed would be the sanctioning event when they clearly are trying their best to give them a safe speed and class to run without all of the safety gear we have to as racers. 

Maybe we should have them put a $10,000 deposit down and if they go too fast the money is donated to a local charity??? :-D
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
I'm not sure that $10,000 is enough. There have been a couple of super car accidents and they really trash them at over 200 mph. If they're not prepared to put in the necessary safety equipment they shouldn't be allowed to run. If they can afford one of those ridiculously priced super cars maybe they should spend some of it on a real race car to fulfill their need for speed. There's too much hanging in the balance for everyone if they do screw up.

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:30 AM »
I'd rather be a HASBEEN than a WANNABE!!!!!.

IMO, too many people watch junk on TV and because they own a special car
they think the world of racing is their playing field.

Unfortunately some unlucky sod will change the rules for everyone. :evil:

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
I was told by an early Bonneville racer it was better to be a has been than a never was.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 12:59:33 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Burton. I hadn't even considered that any LSR competitors would intentionally not meet the safety requirements. :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
I would like to address the perceived issue with supercar drivers. 
Yes we do have a class for them and yes all participants did meet or exceed the safety requirements of the class.

We did have one rules infraction during the event and it was dealt with immediately and harshly; hence the reason the vehicle did not make any other passes.

I heard a lot this last weekend about "real LSR racers" and that has been alluded to in this string.  This infraction was a matter of "running out the back door"  which is exactly the same infraction that occurs at Elmo on occasion.  Whether the driver did not see the marker or chose to run out the back door is matter of debate every time this infraction occurs.  Whether it is a supercar racer or a real LSR racer, it happens. Just like one of our "Real" LSR racers going to USFRA and blowing a 150 pass at 186.  It happened and the sanctioning body has to deal with it.  They can reprimand, toss the racer, or do nothing.

This was a matter that occurred with an individual driver, not a class of vehicle.  Let's be sure to differentiate between the two. 
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
Too far out the back door, at Loring, and you better have your Passport cause its Canada. :roll:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »
Too far out the back door, at Loring, and you better have your Passport cause its Canada. :roll:
My first rookie orientation was at Loring that was five years ago. I will never forget what we were told as we were standing at the top end of the runway. If we over shoot the end be sure you have your passport in your pocket because just over four miles from this point is Canada we all got a chuckle out of that.
   Good times for sure. :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 07:54:17 PM »
Any vehicle running those speeds should have full race car rules and all safety equipment including roll cages.Did they have chutes?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
I haven't read much about the spring meet,except some one with a super car ran faster than they were supposed What else happened?