Author Topic: vehicle weight  (Read 10998 times)

Offline mxnuke

• New folks
vehicle weight
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »
How does weight effect a car in the standing mile? With the car still pulling past 1 mile, is less vehicle weight better ? If you have traction. I'm new to this so i hate to ask but i want to give this a try [ i did a search first ]. Thanks

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: vehicle weight
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
In the standing mile, on pavement, less weight is better. The longer the track the less important weight is.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
The paved courses are basically a long drag race. I suggest launch hard and hold the higher gears to the red line before shifting.  The salt flats are another matter.  With 2 miles to get speed you can recover from a short shift and vehicle weight is less of a factor.

Joe

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
Not sure how much experience these guys have with cars, but i have not seen weight really matter.  I've seen 3000lb cars run the same speed as 4000lb cars.  What matters is aero, and traction.  Now I'll say i'm talking about cars capable of running over 190mph in the mile.  I can run within 1mph of a car with little aero and huge power as my car with lots of aero and little power.  I know this because we proved it each running 4 passes over 200mph in one meet.  Under 175 what actually matters is having the appropriate amount of tire spin off the line.  I don't quite understand the physics of it, but just like drag racing wheel spin yields MPH.  As much as 10mph could be had in a 150-160mph car.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
At the last Texas Mile, Brenda Sue, on one run, spun the tire pretty much most of 1st gear. It was her slowest speed of the meet.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline mxnuke

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
Thank you guy's for your input.I'm sure you get lot's of questions from newb's like me,but the long winter gives me time to think [ not good ].My car is power limited,ran 124 mph in the 1/4 last fall.So now i have to update safety equipment and tires,but i'm working on it.Would love to be done in time to run the 1/2 mile event to sort out car and get my feet wet.Keeping the front to rear weight bias may be better than the overall weight to a point,but i hope to get car to 3200 lbs.Any input will help,thank's

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:02:15 AM »
... wheel spin yields MPH...
:? At Maxton, I was told that ECTA frowned on any tire spin. [Was I too naive to realize someone was 'jes a foolin' wit' me?]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:04:56 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
... wheel spin yields MPH...
:? At Maxton, I was told that ECTA frowned on any tire spin. [Was I too naive to realize someone was 'jes a foolin' wit' me?]
True- tends to spray the cars lined up behind you, not to mention staff and spectators with gravel/sand etc.

First time at Wilmington with my current car did not have a limited slip- and the usual LSR skinny tires. When given the go signal, I gently let out the clutch and fed it gas. Didn't move. I went "oh crap, the clutch is slipping". Gradually started to move and then made the run without further incident. My crew member in support truck behind me said I disappeared in a cloud of smoke as I lit up the right rear.  :cheers: Nobody said anything but this is frowned on.   :-P :roll:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »
What is frowned upon is burn outs to heat tires.  There are people staging behind you and this will shower them with whatever is kicked up.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
What is frowned upon is burn outs to heat tires.  There are people staging behind you and this will shower them with whatever is kicked up.

x2

"Launching" the car (ie drag racing) is frowned upon, given the propensity to spray rubber, gravel, et cetera towards those lined up behind you.
Coming off of a push truck (or under your own power) "HARD" enough to spin the tires is okay... You're usually 100 ft or so down the track at
that point, anyways. I was VERY sideways for the first 1/10 mile on my last 203 run, no one said anything except "add weight!"
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline entropy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
At the last Texas Mile, Brenda Sue, on one run, spun the tire pretty much most of 1st gear. It was her slowest speed of the meet.

Fred,
(about bikes)
we have had this discussion before , we agreed to disagree... 
Simply spinning the tire doesn't do anything. 
But with big hp, spinning it correctly, using rpm correctly, riding correctly, can make a big difference.
AND weight can make a big difference in the Mile, if the bike is ridden correctly
Karl

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
Us disagree! Are you saying less weight is better or vice versa?
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
It takes less power to accelerate less weight.  So -- as long as you're hooked up, less is more better.  So how much do you need -- well try this . . .

Vehicle weight (in stones) x tire contact patch (inches wide / mm long) x number of drive wheels x final gear ratio (to third decimal)

over

coefficient of drag x frontal area (in decimal hectares) x peak horse(gelding)power

equals terminal speed (not taking in clutch slippage, tire growth, traction slippage nor intent).

You're welcome.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Geo

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Hey Stan,

Applying this to your car I get about 285. Is that about right?

Converted that's 1,995 Henweigh.

Geo

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
What's a henweigh?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records