Author Topic: GOODGUYS GAZETTE DUMPS LANDSPEED LOUISE  (Read 20706 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: GOODGUYS GAZETTE DUMPS LANDSPEED LOUISE
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:47 AM »
Perhaps you should consider switching your subscription to the Bonneville Racing News. I am sure you can find LSR coverage there. LAN might also consider writing for BRN. No pay though.

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »
Been gettin Bonneville Racing News for 4 years-great coverage and interviews :-)
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

velocity

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 01:11:22 AM »
Folks - it is letter like this that remind that what I wrote about matters -- LSL

Dear Editor,

I was very disturbed to learn that the Goodguys Gazette will no longer publish “Fuel For Thought” prepared by Louise Noeth (Landspeed Louise). When my magazine arrives, hers is the first article I read, long before checking the monthly editorial, or gazing at page after page of advertisements. Not only can she keep her readers in touch with latest news in the landspeed world but she also tells the readers the history of land speed racing. Louise has helped bring a whole new generation to the sport of high speed world records. She has also encouraged many of us to visit the salt and to participate. You have done a great disservice by eliminating her articles. She is a valuable resource and not someone to be eliminated on the spur of the moment. Her tireless dedication to the sport is unmatched.

History is very important to us as a country and also to us in our sports. To appreciate what we have today we must study our past. The history of motor sports is directly tied to land speed records and racing. The dry lakes of southern California brought us today’s hot rods, landspeed racing, and drag racing. The beaches of Florida brought us early high speed records and the foundation for NASCAR and the Daytona Speedway.  This racing heritage is the foundation for the hot rods that you write articles about, photograph, and promote events.   Frequently Louise writes about our racing history. Much of this could be lost without her efforts to keep it alive and recorded. 

Please reconsider your decision to eliminate Landspeed Louise from your magazine.

John Kimbrough
Neosho, Mo

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »
 While attending the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona two weekends ago I stopped at the Goodguys booth and voiced my displeasure with the dropping of  Landspeed Louise. The Goodguys reps manning the booth told me I was not the first one to stop and complain about this. They told me to contact the editor so when I returned home I sat down and sent off email to the Gazette editor. As of today there has been no response but really I'm not surprised!   :-(
   Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 06:37:29 AM »
While attending the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona two weekends ago I stopped at the Goodguys booth and voiced my displeasure with the dropping of  Landspeed Louise. The Goodguys reps manning the booth told me I was not the first one to stop and complain about this. They told me to contact the editor so when I returned home I sat down and sent off email to the Gazette editor. As of today there has been no response but really I'm not surprised!   :-(
   Ron

Lots of racing related entities/businesses are purchased by self-described "visionaries" who have the intention of "improving" them.    And these visionaries are resolute that their way is the "only" way forward.   Typically, they ignore any feedback that is critical of their changes/decisions.

The result is that many of these "visionaries" alienate their older, loyal customer base with their changes, and poof, either they or the business disappear(s) in most instances.

It is sad, but it is just "natural selection".

Guess I've been around racing for too long . . . . .  because I've seen it so many times . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:42:15 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

velocity

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
“WHO LOVES YA, BABY? -  "Kojak" aka Telly Savales

That pithy retort came to mind when one of my readers brought to my attention that my very last published piece in the Gazette ("Ready Like Teddy" Sept 2014) also carried a public declaration of unwavering support from the editor that I have posted below.  This was published in the monthly “letters to the editor” section called “Rodders Respond.” The letter that inspired the editor to comment was written by veteran land speed record holder Dave Spangler, the current driver of TEAMVesco’s Turbinator II, that is seeking to exceed 500MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats this racing season.  Upon reflection, the actions of the Association and publication staff reinforces my long-held work ethic of, “trust, but verify”. . .

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:25:36 AM by velocity »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »
“WHO LOVES YA, BABY? -  "Kojak" aka Telly Savales

That pithy retort came to mind when one of my readers brought to my attention that my very last published piece in the Gazette ("Ready Like Teddy" Sept 2014) also carried a public declaration of unwavering support from the editor that I have posted below.  This was published in the monthly “letters to the editor” section called “Rodders Respond.” The letter that inspired the editor to comment was written by veteran land speed record holder Dave Spangler, the current driver of TEAMVesco’s Turbinator II, that is seeking to exceed 500MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats this racing season.  Upon reflection, the actions of the Association and publication staff reinforces my long-held work ethic of, “trust, but verify”. . .

"Savalas"

"Trust, however proofread or spellcheck" . . .

velocity

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 02:38:26 AM »
Ha! busted! thanks!

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
Publishing can be a cut-throat business, Louise, I've been involved in it for years, including having a monthly page in Europe's best selling custom bike magazine for over 7 years. Recently that same magazine sacked both the editor & assistant editor with virtually no notice & they had been at the "Helm" for years. Something will turn up for you, & I still keep getting comments about how good you were on our documentary, "Speed Dreams".
Chris Ireland.
UK.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

velocity

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:36 AM »
Chris

Thank you for the input and the kudo on Speed Dreams; had a lot of fun working with you lot. I am with you on the cut-throat part, that is why i shifted to freelance-only work - it puts you in a position of (as John Goodman in "The Gambler" says) FU. . .meaning I could turn down those assignments that did not interest me or have merit. I am not bothered by the separation  form my 12-year gig, merely appalled at the blatant lack of professionalism exhibited by the new guy. I actually offered to quit in our initial phone call thinking he had a special new mission to prove to the owners that he was worth what they were paying him and he made grand overtures about how incredibly valuable and needed I was at the publication.

A few weeks later, . . ., well, can you spell Pinocchio?

I am a story teller and will remain so for life. My phone keeps ringing, so I move onwards and upwards. One article in the NY Times is worth a year of columns in club rag.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »
BRAVO Louise:

My lovely mother always said..."it's not what happens to you in this world but how you handle it that matters".

What interests you interests us so keep writing.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

velocity

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »
roger that

until my fingers fall off
or
my brain drains