Author Topic: So-Cal Speed Shop: The California Racers Who Made Hot Rod History  (Read 1612 times)

velocity

So-Cal Speed Shop: The Fast Tale of the California Racers Who Made Hot Rod History by Mark Christensen.

This book is in like-new condition. I gather from web research these are pretty rare, selling for plus $150. upwards of way too much . . . geez.

I'll  take bids starting at $75. - any amount collected over that will be donated to Landracing.com

This is the story of how an ex-B-17 airman established the SO-CAL Speed Shop and helped transform hot rodding from a scruffy, underground, outlaw sport into a defining part of postwar American culture. The ability of U.S. car enthusiasts to satisfy their need for speed changed dramatically in the late 1940s as car-crazy veterans returned home from World War II with formal mechanical training, courtesy of Uncle Sam. This is the story of how one such veteran, an ex-B-17 airman named Alex Xydias, established the SO-CAL Speed Shop and helped transform hot rodding from a scruffy, underground, outlaw sport into a defining part of postwar American culture.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: So-Cal Speed Shop: The California Racers Who Made Hot Rod History
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »
Louise, please tell me that you did not write that last paragraph.  It sounds like a blurb for the inside cover of the book - written by an editor that needed to fill some space, no matter that he repeated one of the descriptive lines. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

velocity

Re: So-Cal Speed Shop: The California Racers Who Made Hot Rod History
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
Nope. That paragraph is not my work at all. picked it up from one of the publisher/seller websites. Alex was responsible for contributing heavily to the sport, but I never read the book, only used it for pictorial reference and some date points. What Alex did was fabulous. I have no idea about the modern-day place, never been there, probably will never go either.