Author Topic: Front and Rear Wheels Speeds on Hayabusa  (Read 4031 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Front and Rear Wheels Speeds on Hayabusa
« on: January 12, 2015, 04:06:22 PM »
Is anyone referencing front and rear wheel speeds on their 'busa LSR bikes?  If so, how are you doing it?  Is there a readily available kit or just added your own sensors?  Are they Hall Effect or VR/mag? 

This is in regards to what's mentioned in my wanted thread.  TIA!
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RansomT

Re: Front and Rear Wheels Speeds on Hayabusa
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »
I've tried to data log the rear via the oem sprocket sensor using Innovate stuff, but haven't been successful yet.  You would think it would be easy....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »
We're monitoring front and rear wheel speeds on the ZX12 "Ice Breaker" bike.  It's a Hall sensor looking for the magnets in the rear sprocket and front wheel hub.  I'll go take a photo if you'd like to see.

We can preset the difference reading as a "wheelspin" indicator lamp on the dashboard.  I think we started with 7% - and were surprised that it worked without going much over that.  The MoTeC logs the wheel speeds so we could see each one.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
We do the same via our Racepack.  We assumed a 10% spin so you saying 7% is at least in the ballpark.  We have yet to try ours in anger as it was a bit wet last year.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
I've tried to data log the rear via the oem sprocket sensor using Innovate stuff, but haven't been successful yet.  You would think it would be easy....

Hey RT, any idea why it doesn't seem to work right?  Have you checked the signal with an oscilloscope?  Did you just tap the signal wire?  Does the sensor still drive the speedo on the dash?  Are you using the stock dash?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline maj

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »
i have rear wheel sensor logged on my AQ1 but referencing to GPS not front wheel , picks it up ok, but need to calibrate and smooth it better ,

newer busas have abs , maybe a good source of trigger wheels for the sensor

Offline RansomT

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »

Hey RT, any idea why it doesn't seem to work right?  Have you checked the signal with an oscilloscope?  Did you just tap the signal wire?  Does the sensor still drive the speedo on the dash?  Are you using the stock dash?

I tapped the signal wire and I do have the stock dash.  With a volt meter, I can see the voltage fluctuate, but the innovate hardware/software doesn't want to datalog it.  The manual says it should work, but it didn't.  I have really concentrated on it since last fall, but once I get the back back together, I'll look at it again.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »
The additional load may have reduced the voltage to a level that is below the trigger point.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ