Author Topic: My Bonneville Bucket List Trip  (Read 23897 times)

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
My Bonneville Bucket List Trip
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »
Been trying to get my Ghia to the salt for the last couple of years and between the lack of cash and then the E85 issue, it just hasn't came to fruition -- -- A while back a Company in the UK -- VW Heritage -- Opened a contest where they would help you have a road trip of your dreams -- I just had to enter --

TODAY I GOT THIS EMAIL

Subject: Your VW Heritage dream road trip made the shortlist!
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 14:53:46 +0000

Hi,
Thank you for entering the VW Heritage Win your dream Road trip competition.

Your entry has been selected to join a shortlist of our 5 favourites, so you are in with a great chance of winning!

We will be announcing the shortlist in our newsletter at the end of the week, and will open up a vote to find the winner (the vote will be open until the end of Jan).

Each trip will be detailed on our website, blog and Facebook – we will provide the answer you gave, and accompany it with a basic map showing where you plan to travel.

We would love to feature your VW, and a picture of you and anyone you were wanting to travel with to help bring the story to life even more.

The more information you can provide, the better your story, the better chance you have of winning!

We will provide you with web the links as soon as they are created, so you can inform friends and family, and get them to support you from the start.

Congratulations on making the final five, I look forward to hearing more about your trip shortly.

Happy New Year!

Andy

Andy Gregory
 Marketing Manager

DDI: 01273 444014

VW Heritage Parts Centre Limited | Registered in England & Wales: 3294341
 47 Dolphin Road, Shoreham-By-Sea, West Sussex, BN43 6PB, U.K.

International Tel: +44 1273 444000 | International Fax: +44 1273 454986

http://www.vwheritage.com

CAN I GET YOU GUYS TO VOTE FOR ME?????
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:42:38 AM by Fiatdude »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: My Bonneville Bucket List Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
No doubt a bunch of the folks on this Forum will be glad to vote for you -- especially if you'll be so kind as to say Howdy to us when you're at the salt.  Keep us up to date on how the voting is going, please.

In the meantime -- have you recruited Burly?  He runs the VW site over here and frequently checks in on this Forum.  If you haven't - I'll dig up his email address and you can ask if he'll try to get you some votes from his group.

Good luck! :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
Thanks Slim -- Burly has been lobbying for me to get to salt at WOS for a while,,,,, Even though I buy my E85 from a pump at a gas station near me, it seems that the powers to be at WOS don't feel that E85 is a appropriate fuel for the 130 MPH street class. Burly has taken up my cause and has been nipping at their heels to get that changed. The latest email I got from him said that he approached all of them at the Board meeting and he felt they were going to revisit their decision and possibly get E85 approved....... WOO HOOO

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:45:29 AM »
As a racer who has had great support and encouragement from a brand-specific community of import enthusiasts around the world, and appreciates and understands what you're trying to do, you will have my vote.

Let us know how to do it.

But don't call it a "bucket list" item - it will likely become a tradition.

Sincerely,

Chris Conrad

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
Use the team motto:

White Goose Bar - where LSR is a life style.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »
Sure thing!  Like Chris said, let us know how we go about voting for you.

:cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
I had to back out of the VW Heritage promotion,,,, part of their deal was they wanted the owner to drive their VW to the location and back....

After I started looking at all the stuff I needed to have with me to participate on the salt, and looking just how small the Ghia was, I knew that I needed to have a truck and trailer to haul my junk and car up there and back, and I couldn't afford to drive two vehicles. So I told them of my dilemma and offered to withdraw and they accepted my decision and thanked me for being upfront on my attentions.... So now I need to start saving my nickels and dimes to see if I can afford to make the trip on my own. DAMN ,,, I was sure excited there for a minute or two

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »
In a way -- that's good that you won't be making your first trip to Bville with a race vehicle.  There is so much to see and learn - that you'd miss if you were busy wrenching and worrying about inspection and the myriad details that you need to know when you've got a vehicle there -- that you'd miss lots of the fun and excitement.  Go hang out, visit with all the racers and crews that you can, wander around the line and the staging area, and have a blast.  You'll enjoy it -- and then you'll want to return lots more.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
In a way -- that's good that you won't be making your first trip to Bville with a race vehicle.  There is so much to see and learn - that you'd miss if you were busy wrenching and worrying about inspection and the myriad details that you need to know when you've got a vehicle there -- that you'd miss lots of the fun and excitement.  Go hang out, visit with all the racers and crews that you can, wander around the line and the staging area, and have a blast.  You'll enjoy it -- and then you'll want to return lots more.
I disagree TOTALLY. If I'm going to Bonneville I'm going to drive. Imagine landing on the moon and sitting in the LM watching and "LEARNING". :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Usually, on the moon, there aren't 500+ teams already there that have a clue what they're doing.

Running a vehicle at SpeedWeek usually precludes you many chances to visit with friends, compare results, even find them.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »
Usually, on the moon, there aren't 500+ teams already there that have a clue what they're doing.

Running a vehicle at SpeedWeek usually precludes you many chances to visit with friends, compare results, even find them.
Very true Stan, by the time you get done running then stand up & take a breath, everybody else has destroyed their crap or the record & gone home. :cry:
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 10:30:53 PM »
But sometimes you can run into them at the Taco and Ice Cream tire shop  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 01:06:13 AM »
Love that place!!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 10:18:54 AM »
Very true Stan, by the time you get done running then stand up & take a breath, everybody else has destroyed their crap or the record & gone home. :cry:
  Sid.
The story of my 52 years of participation
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!