Author Topic: Fairings in the Northwest  (Read 4165 times)

Offline BasementBorn

Fairings in the Northwest
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:35 PM »
I am trying to decide if I want to buy a Charlie Toy fairing or make my own but I have minimal experience doing that kind of body work.  Is there anyone in the Northwest, preferably close to the Seattle area, that has made their fairing? I would like pick your brain, see what you have done, and get any suggestions. I only say Seattle because it would be nice to see in person, I have also been looking through the forum seeing what has been done in the past.

Thanks
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Fairings in the Northwest
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »
I made my own full fairing after buying some parts from Catalyst and Airtech. My feeling is that it requires a huge amount of time (and some expense) to make your own. You will learn by trial and error and make mistakes you have to correct. I thought the $1500+ for a full fairing was too much and I could save money by doing it myself.

But you will spend 100s of hours making the fairing so weigh that against the the cost of your time and what you could be doing. Also, any store bought fairing will have to be modified anyway to fit your bike and that alone takes a lot of time.

There are a lot of pros and cons to doing it yourself. You have to decide which way to go is best for your life and your project.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
Tough to beat a Charlie Toy.  Kent isn't shy but his Airtech fairings are well designed and well made.  There is still a ton of work mounting it.    I have done it both ways, made my own and bought from Airtech.   What I like about Airtech is you can buy the windscreen off the shelf from Gustafson.  I guess, "You pays your money and you takes your choice."

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
This bike can be seen for a couple of weeks.  Then, it goes in a crate for a long slow cruise to Blighty.  It is near Salem, Oregon.  Send a PM if you are interested.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:50:59 PM »
C'mon down to Tacoma and help me build my new fairings. You can get your feet wet and I'll even let you do all the sanding!
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone! I have been leaning toward the Charlie Toy for a while, briefly talked to them Friday about it, so that's probably the direction I will go. But I figure it can't hurt to check out what other people have done and how you have gone about it. Probably can't make a trip down to Salem too soon but I wouldn't mind dropping by Tacoma to see how you are building yours sofadriver.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 01:29:10 AM »
hopefully i'll have the frame back this weekend (with footpegs!  :-)) and i can start mapping the frame, rider and body.
send me a pm with your number and i'll give you a call
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:29:07 PM »
Sanding?  What's that?  Can I use my torch, anvil, and big hammer? 

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
just because I'm using fiberglass doesn't mean I'm not using a torch, anvil and big hammer  :-D :-D :-D
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833